Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Interesting News Items

Go down 
+17
stanley2
foreveryoung
Spirit
claytoncavaliers
AngelWings
canear
teddyhugz
Adrift
RoseCandle
janice
Badger
horselaydee
Admin
Forest Hills
Sky
aerwin
Firecracker
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82361
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Interesting News Items - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Yep, I've been following this story every day. The second I heard that little boy on Larry King Live I just KNEW it was a hoax. I also felt the reality show appearance was a good hint that these people look for easy $$$$.

When I think of how frantic I was watching that balloon and so worried for the little boy and his folks - UGH! So pissed at them for doing this to people! :x

HA! Drifty - Fang is involved in this I am sure!! Evil or Very Mad

Interesting News Items - Page 5 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 19110

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Adrift wrote:
Oh...I missed it being a hoax! Saw an article about the parents being charged, but didn't read the whole article! I just assumed it was a "token" gesture because they didn't know where the boy was etc....must go look at the article again!

OK..new article on the BBC webpage tells me about the hoax....bit unsure about the first bit though..I'm not 6, nor am a boy, nor have I been to Colorado Interesting News Items - Page 5 Icon_pale

A US sheriff has said the case of six-year-old Falcon Heene who was believed to be adrift in a hot air balloon, prompting a major alert, was a hoax.

Sheriff Jim Alderden said the parents of the boy were actors and had put on a "good show for us, and we bought it".

Interesting News Items - Page 5 Icon_wink

Interesting News Items - Page 5 Lol Interesting News Items - Page 5 Lol Interesting News Items - Page 5 Lol Interesting News Items - Page 5 Lol Interesting News Items - Page 5 Lol
Back to top Go down
canear

canear

Number of posts : 42125
Registration date : 2009-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm watching CNN tonight and their coverage of the horrific shootings at Fort Hood today. I guess the big question is how on earth did this happen on a military base. This world we live in is a very scary place.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Yes, it is really horrible. I wonder what the heck happened with the shooter? How could security be so lacking?

My condolences to the families of the victims :(

Interesting News Items - Page 5 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Heard about this on TV this morning - truly shocking!
My thoughts really are with the families that have lost loved ones.
Back to top Go down
AngelWings

AngelWings

Number of posts : 17592

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 3:06 am

Adrift wrote:
Heard about this on TV this morning - truly shocking!
My thoughts really are with the families that have lost loved ones.

On Facebook all my friends and family I have on my list were leaving messages of thoughts and prayers for all that had to go through that and the all their families. My stepmom's boss's son is stationed there so he was freaking out Thursday; luckilly he was able to get a call to his son and he found out that his son was like on the other side of the base while all the tragic events went down.

Shannon Interesting News Items - Page 5 223329 Interesting News Items - Page 5 852399
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:08 am

So glad he was one of the lucky ones Angel!

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

Number of posts : 2475

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Has there been any updates about why they think this guy killed all those people? Interesting News Items - Page 5 Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:33 pm

Turns out this shrink was seeing a shrink. He didn't want to go back to Iraq. Some think terrorism.

Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 1:46 pm

I had read that - my hope it isn't proved terrorism, but a guy who just lost his mind.No excuse though will ever help the families that lost loved ones.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 19110

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:39 am

Crazy people.............a sad event that 4 police officers were shot and killed and the man that shot them should never have been released from jail...

Seattle police kill suspect in officer slayings

By GENE JOHNSON, AP

Interesting News Items - Page 5 C454-Officers-Shot
Janai Roberts, 17, lights a candle in front of a growing display of flowers,...

SEATTLE — The man suspected of gunning down four police officers in a suburban coffee shop was shot and killed by a lone Seattle patrol officer investigating a stolen car early Tuesday, a sheriff's spokesman said. Four other people were arrested for allegedly helping the suspect elude authorities during a massive two-day manhunt.
A Seattle police officer came across the stolen car in a working-class south Seattle neighborhood about 2:45 a.m., Assistant Police Chief Jim Pugel said. The officer approached the car, then detected movement behind him, recognized the suspect Maurice Clemmons and ordered him to show his hands and stop.
"He wouldn't stop," Pugel said. "The officer fired several rounds, took the person into custody."
Clemmons had a serious gunshot wound from one of the four officers killed in the coffee-shop shooting. He has since died from his injuries, Pugel said. Clemmons was carrying a handgun that had belonged one of the slain officers, Pugel said.
Police planned to arrest more people who helped Clemmons.
"We expect to have maybe six or seven people in custody by the day's end," said Ed Troyer, a spokesman for the Pierce County sheriff. "Some are friends, some are acquaintances, some are partners in crime, some are relatives. Now they're all partners in crime."
Troyer didn't immediately give the names of the four people already arrested on suspicion of rendering criminal assistance. On Monday, officers detained a sister of Clemmons who they think treated the suspect's gunshot wound.
"We believe she drove him up to Seattle and bandaged him up," Troyer said.
Authorities say Clemmons, 37, singled out the Lakewood officers and spared employees and other customers at a coffee shop Sunday morning in Parkland, a Tacoma suburb about 35 miles south of Seattle. He then fled, but not before he was apparently shot in the torso by one of the dying officers.
"I'm surprised that he managed to get away," Troyer said. "The officer did a good job in Lakewood."
Killed were Sgt. Mark Renninger, 39, and Officers Ronald Owens, 37, Tina Griswold, 40, and Greg Richards, 42.
A couple dozen police officers milled around at the scene where Clemmons was apparently shot, shaking hands and patting each other on the back later Tuesday morning.
Police said they aren't sure what prompted Clemmons to shoot the officers. Clemmons was described as increasingly erratic in the past few months and had been arrested earlier this year on charges that he punched a sheriff's deputy in the face.
Troyer told the Tacoma News-Tribune that Clemmons indicated the night before the shooting "that he was going to shoot police and watch the news."
Police surrounded a house in a Seattle neighborhood late Sunday following a tip Clemmons had been dropped off there. After an all-night siege, a SWAT team entered the home and found it empty. But police said Clemmons had been there.
Police frantically chased leads on Monday, searching multiple spots in the Seattle and Tacoma area and at one point cordoning off a park where people thought they saw Clemmons.
Authorities found a handgun carried by the killer, along with a pickup truck belonging to the suspect with blood stains inside. They posted a $125,000 reward for information leading to Clemmons' arrest and alerted hospitals to be on the lookout for a man seeking treatment for gunshot wounds.
"We need to get him into custody and we need to end this," Troyer said Monday night.
Authorities in two states were criticized amid revelations that Clemmons was allowed to walk the streets despite a teenage crime spree in Arkansas that landed him an 108-year prison sentence. He was released early after then-Gov. Mike Huckabee commuted his sentence.
Huckabee cited Clemmons' youth in granting the request. But Clemmons quickly reverted to his criminal past, violated his parole and was returned to prison. He was released again in 2004.
"This guy should have never been on the street," said Brian D. Wurts, president of the police union in Lakewood. "Our elected officials need to find out why these people are out."
Huckabee said on Fox News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor" Monday night that Clemmons was allowed back on the street because prosecutors failed to file paperwork in time.
Pulaski County Prosecutor Larry Jegley, whose office opposed Clemmons' parole in 2000 and 2004, said Huckabee's comments were "red herrings."
"My word to Mr. Huckabee is man up and own what you did," Jegley said.
Clemmons was charged in Washington state earlier this year with assaulting a police officer and raping a child, and investigators in the sex case said he was motivated by visions that he was Jesus Christ and that the world was on the verge of the apocalypse.
But he was released from jail after posting bail with the assistance of Jail Sucks Bail Bonds.
Documents related to those charges indicate a volatile personality. In one instance, he is accused of gathering his wife and young relatives and forcing them to undress.
"The whole time Clemmons kept saying things like trust him, the world is going to end soon, and that he was Jesus," a Pierce County sheriff's report said.
___
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:54 am

All so very sad :(

Back to top Go down
claytoncavaliers

claytoncavaliers

Number of posts : 6399
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Yes, quite horrible and sad indeed.

Back to top Go down
Spirit

Spirit

Number of posts : 4465
Registration date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:46 pm

FC mentioned briefly in the AI thread that the mosque debate is making her nuts. I just want to say that last week's Newsweek had a fantastic article explaining the issue in terms I could understand. Basically, 9/11 was perpetuated by radical Muslims out to get us for whatever reason. The war we have fought in response has been for the purpose of ferreting out the radical Muslims and strengthening moderate Muslims. The US is doing all in its power to help the moderates rebuild their country, and if the mosque were planned in Iraq, the U.S. would probably be paying for it. The general Muslim population is not our enemy and we need to encourage relations with them, not turn them against us.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/06/the-real-ground-zero.html
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Don't agree. Won't ever agree. Don't like a LOT of what is going on with this administration. 2012 can't come fast enough!

Back to top Go down
AngelWings

AngelWings

Number of posts : 17592

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 pm

I don't talk politics and I don't follow politics cause to me all it does is cause arguements. All I will say is I did not vote for Obama. If I never had to vote I would not cause I hate politics but I have to vote cause it is my civil duty.

Shannon Interesting News Items - Page 5 223329 Interesting News Items - Page 5 852399
Back to top Go down
foreveryoung

foreveryoung

Number of posts : 11264

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Firecracker wrote:
Don't agree. Won't ever agree. Don't like a LOT of what is going on with this administration. 2012 can't come fast enough!

Me either, no way they ever are going to convince me that is a good thing, my heart breaks just thinking about all those innocent people who died that terrible day.

If they want to built that damn thing why don't they build it somewhere else far away from Ground Zero.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:31 pm

EXACTLY!! Don't build it there!! This president wants to rub salt in the wounds.

Yes Angel. It is our duty. I didn't vote for him either.

Yes, politics gets ugly and I have refrained from any real discussion of it here - but this really pushed me over the edge today. That was the saddest day in our nation and THIS is what OUR President wants??!

Back to top Go down
teddyhugz

teddyhugz

Number of posts : 39744
Registration date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Couldn't agree more with you FC. And that's all I'm going to say about it.........
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 3207

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 2:31 am

Not wanting them to put a mosque at Ground Zero has nothing to do with hating Moslems. It's bad taste, plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
teddyhugz

teddyhugz

Number of posts : 39744
Registration date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 2:44 am

Exactly Badger.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 5:44 am

YOU BETCHA BADGER!!

(God, other than Adam, Badger and I agree on so much hugging)

Back to top Go down
Spirit

Spirit

Number of posts : 4465
Registration date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:04 am

It is not the President's job to pass judgment on local building projects. And Mr. Obama didn't. It is his job to uphold basic rights in this country, which includes religious rights, so he was commenting on that. So do we want to modify the rights and freedoms we have in this country to exclude certain groups. I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:10 am

There are over 100 mosques in NYC. I don't think their rights have been stomped on. And if they want to build another one - have some sensitivity about where it is built.

I saw a poll on this matter and Americans are overwhelmingly against this. Over 82% against it. Not that this president cares what the majority of American's want anyway. The majority didn't want Obamacare.

I have read that many in the trade unions will refuse to work on it. Good for them! Hope none of them do it.

Spirit - I think people feel EXTREMELY passionate about this issue and you won't be able to sway them. Some hurts are just too strong. That was the most horrible day and all these years later the images can bring you to your knees.

No - I don't give a rat's ass about "their" freedoms.

Last edited by Firecracker on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News Items   Interesting News Items - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting News Items
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next