Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!

Go down 
+2
Firecracker
aerwin
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Adrift

Adrift

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 3:48 pm

OOOO by the way...I'm about to watch the last episode of Series 2 (yep us Brits are way behind!!) Is it gonna make me cry??????

(Actually I know the answer to that... I've been known to sob slightly at an episode of The Simpsons) Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82369
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 4:15 pm

The Simpsons? Shocked I didn't know they ever had sad episodes. I have never watched. My kids used to though.

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Well at least I didn't say it was Spongebob!!(& no Spongebob Squarepants hasn't ever made me cry!!!)
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Oh, I weep for poor Spongebob. Imagine having to go around in those square drawers No

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 5:00 pm

ROFL!! Well my fav episode was "Musclebob buff pants" :D
(by the way...yes I am an adult woman aged over 40...sort of 40 + vat ...I'm sure you wouldn't think so though!)
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 5:26 pm

What is 40 + vat? :scratch:

I'm 40 + a whole bunch! geek

(I think you and I have derailed a few threads here today Laughing Good thing I get along so well with the Admin here! Wink )

Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Firecracker wrote:
What is 40 + vat? :scratch:

I'm 40 + a whole bunch! geek

(I think you and I have derailed a few threads here today Laughing Good thing I get along so well with the Admin here! Wink )
VAT is 17.5% in the UK..though I'm a few weeks away from the final total !

Hehehehe so I can blame you for leading me astray - right I'm now behaving...!!(errrrr which thread am I on?????)

Oh yes.....Anne is about to find a headache cure (yes I'm still watching Tudors...last episode of S2..I keep getting distracted & rewinding lol! )
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 6:04 pm

Oh lord! We're in The Tudors thread?? I totally lost track of where we were! My apologies to Tudors fans Embarassed I will need to find hot pix of JRM and bring here to gain forgiveness!

Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Drifty to the rescue...................

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 Jonathan-rhys-myers-details_2
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Oh thanks for having my back my friend!! I love you That's a good one! He is a beautiful if naughty boy Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

Number of posts : 2475

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:51 pm

All former indiscretions forgiven thanks to the hottest photo evah of JRM posted by the talented Adrift....*runs off to drool* Laughing
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 3207

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 1:10 am

You know who I was thinking might make a good Henry VIII is Philip Quast.

For my money, I thought the last 5 episodes of "The Tudors" were really excellent television. Not that the first 5 were any slouches, but once you could see Henry was tiring of Anne, the intensity of the show really ratcheted up. It was like after Thomas More was executed, it was all downhill for Anne. Of course, not giving Henry a son did not help matters.

There was some funny moments too - George's wedding and reception were hilarious (the wedding night not so much).

There was a fifth man who was executed named Francis Weston. I wonder why his character was not mentioned on the show.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

Number of posts : 1200

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 3:45 am

I still want Sean Bean. And I wrote Showtime and told them so. Nothing against JRM but he never was exactly as I wanted him to be. He never lightened up.Henry was supposed to some fun. I just hope they continue with this series . It's been done before certainly.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 9:59 am

Good for you for writing Showtime and giving your feedback. I also hope they continue the show for another season at least.

Badger wrote:
Quote :
There was some funny moments too - George's wedding and reception were hilarious (the wedding night not so much).
Shocked Yes, that was very unsettleing to say the least! When he got the axe, I almost felt like he deserved it after the cruelty he put on his wife... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Poor Lady Rochford. She always had this look on her face like she was thinking "Something's wrong here but I can't quite figure out what it is".

Regarding the wedding night, I think George just wanted to get it over with and I understand that particular position is very conducive to a "quick release". It's also supposed to be good if you want to conceive a son. In real life, they did have at least one child. They were actually married several years earlier than is shown on the series

Oh you know another scene I really liked was in Episode 7 after Queen Katharine died and they showed how Henry, Anne and Mary reacted. Poor Henry was so broken up.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Quote :
Oh you know another scene I really liked was in Episode 7 after Queen Katharine died and they showed how Henry, Anne and Mary reacted. Poor Henry was so broken up.
That was an interesting twist to see Henry's remorse/regret or whatever it was he was feeling. Henry was certainly a complex man.
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 1:29 pm

I love Maria Doyle Kennedy in the role of Catherine of Aragon - she made it so believable.I remember seeing her in a film called "The Commitments" quite a few years ago & she is also a singer in her own right.
I didn't even realise it was her until after I watched the first couple of episodes (probably because there was no irish accent Rolling Eyes )

Unbelievable - Maria Doyle Kennedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQyZIURKkus
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 1:41 pm

Henry seemed to be one of those people who if you were willing to give him his way was more than willing to treat you well. I think if Katharine had stepped aside and agreed that her marriage should be declared invalid, he would have given her the same deal he did Anne of Cleves. If their marriage had been childless, would she have been as stubborn?

Also with Henry it was never a good idea to make promises you couldn't keep as Cardinal Wolsey and Anne Boleyn discovered.

ETA: Oh, I loved Maria Doyle Kennedy! She was my favorite actress on the show. You know, she was nine months pregnant during her final scenes in real life and had a baby boy last October.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:46 am

Quote :
Henry seemed to be one of those people who if you were willing to give him his way was more than willing to treat you well.
Quote :
Hey I always treat anyone better if I get my own way.

I love Maria Doyle Kennedy. I am very anxious to see what Joss Stone does with the Anne Of Cleves role. you know her small portrait by Holbein she looks pretty to me.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 8:23 am

Well, that was the thing. Henry agreed to marry her after seeing her portrait but when he met her, he didn't think she looked much like it at all. Also, at this time, Henry still saw himself as a studly hunk when he was really old and fat by then and he was taken aback by her less than thrilled reaction to their first meeting. So it could be that his reaction was colored in some ways by hers.

There also seems to be some debate on just how unattractive Anne of Cleves was. Supposedly most people found her perfectly presentable but people who didn't like her started disparaging her looks and that became the accepted point of view.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:19 am

Adrift, thanks for sharing Maria Doyle Kennedy's video. She is one talented lady, her spanish accent was impeccable on the show, as was her acting.

Well, it would'nt surprize me if the producers of the show deviate towards making Anne of Cleves a looker even if historically she was supposed to be unattractive. The hot, pretty people factor seems to be an important focus for the show, which I can understand to a point.
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 4:29 pm

I think that was what threw me too, her Spanish accent , I really believed she was Spanish until about the 2nd or 3rd episode of S1 when I took notice of the cast list (doh @ me!!) Glad you liked the video - certainly shows her talent :D
I have watched the last episode of S2 now & have to say so far I have enjoyed it more than any other version of Henry VIII, maybe because it has been "glamourised" a bit .
About errr 4 or 5 years ago Ray Winstone played Henry in a UK drama & was more believable in stature etc (except he kept his cockney accent Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 3152 )- I enjoyed that too, but it lacked a certain something, I wasn't gripped by it (even though I know how the history goes!) Don't get me wrong...it was worth watching...but doesn't compare to the Showtime version :D
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 12:09 am

I've been watching Season 2 On Demand this weekend and saw the last three episodes today. I still wince when I hear Mark Smeaton's joints getting dislocated on the rack. And I love the scene where the executioner is explaining what he plans to do. He's so matter of fact about the whole thing.

You know Katharine of Aragon actually had reddish-gold hair - I guess what we would call today "strawberry blonde" but I've only ever seen one portrayal of her where the actress did not have dark hair.

One thing I noticed is how often they have scenes that parallel others either earlier in the season or in the first season. There's a scene in Season 1 where Katharine asks Henry to come to her bedchamber and he tells her no. There's also a scene in the 2nd season only it's Anne being rejected. There's a scene in Season 1 where someone who wants to get rid of Cardinal Wolsey is told to wait until the King is more receptive to the information. In Season 2, Charles Brandon's wife tells him the same thing about Anne. In both seasons they had an aristocrat and a court musician involved in a gay love affair where the first "come on" line was "I think you're beautiful". In Season 2, after Mary has been "declared a bastard" and sent to serve in her baby sister's household, Henry comes to visit Elizabeth. As he leaves, he sees Mary and she curtseys to him. He then bows to her as if to say he still acknowledges her as his daughter and a princess. There's a similar scene in the finale where Thomas Boleyn is leaving The Tower and he looks up and sees Anne. She waves to him but he doesn't even acknowledge her. He just walks away.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 6:19 am

I'm sick so of course I am re watching. That actress that plays Jane Seymour is beautiful but she is kind of boring. But I guess that is the point, huh? I know I was very surprised when I read Katherine has reddish blonde hair . I just assumed it would be dark. I saw the series with Ray Winstone. I enjoyed it . He Certainly looks the part. I don't know what it is about JRM but I just cannot warm all the way up to him. He is certainly a fine actor and pretty. I cannot figure out for the life of me why Natalie Dormer was NOT nomimated for an emmy. She gives such a terrific peformance as Anne.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 8:57 am

I totally agree Natalie Dormer should have gotten an emmy, she was ripped. Aerwin, that feeling abut not being able to totally warm up to JRM..I think he probably is a narcissist, as was Henry, I don't think it is possible to completely warm up to that type of person, and another reason why he is able to pull off the role despite the lack of physical resemblance.

Badger wrote:
Quote :
One thing I noticed is how often they have scenes that parallel others either earlier in the season or in the first season.
What an interesting observation! I love that they did that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next