Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!

Go down 
+2
Firecracker
aerwin
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
aerwin

aerwin

Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! Empty
PostSubject: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 7:13 am

I don't know if anyone will want to discuss with me since y'all have already watched but I am now on the fifth episode. I love all the costumes and scenery. all of the actors are spot on. I am very fond of Henry Cavill that plays Charles Brandon. It os a wonder that real Charles Brandon managed to hang on to his head as many times as he dared to disagree with Henry. The thing that I am taking issue with though is JRM as Henry.Really by the time Henry was involved with Anne , he was in his 40's. JRM barely looks older than the actress that plays Lady Mary. While I do think that his playing Henry as petulant spoiled brat is spot on I do think he should perhaps lighten up a teensy bit. from what I have read about Henry was he did enjoy a laugh and was fun to be around at times. I know they cannnot be entirely historically accurate but a lot of this show is. i just wish they would age him a bit . And I do pine for that red gold hair.
I also think Natalie Dormer is doing a terrific job as Anne. The more I read about Anne the more confused I am about her. Was she an extremely manipulating bitch? Or was she used as pawn for her family to gain power? I used to dislike her intensely but the more I read of her the more respect I have for her. She was very intelligent and saw the Catholic chirch for the bloated pompous institution that it was. Thank Goodness Henry did bring the protestant religion into England , even if he did maybe perhaps for the wrong reasons. Well I could go on and on . So if anyone is interested in discussing my obessesion with me I will be happy. :) I read anything I can get my hands on about them fiction or non. So if anyone knows of anything new please tell me. I would still like to get my hands on that series Badger spoke of.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82198

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 7:28 am

I think you can count on Badger and Horselaydee to join you in the discussion! I don't get the cable channel it is on and I have never seen it.

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

Number of posts : 2475

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Quote :
Really by the time Henry was involved with Anne , he was in his 40's. JRM barely looks older than the actress that plays Lady Mary. While I do think that his playing Henry as petulant spoiled brat is spot on I do think he should perhaps lighten up a teensy bit. from what I have read about Henry was he did enjoy a laugh and was fun to be around at times. I know they cannnot be entirely historically accurate but a lot of this show is. i just wish they would age him a bit . And I do pine for that red gold hair.
Glad you brought this thread back Aerwin! I am very into this series...and can't wait for it to start again. It takes me to another place and time that I really enjoy visiting and learning about.l I agree that JRM looking so young while Lady Mary is grown up is a problem. I don't mind that the hair isn't historically accurate, but I think Heath Ledger would have done a rightious job playing King Henry and could have physically been close to him as a young man with a slight hair color adjustment and of course aging him appropriately....

But, with that said, I do think JRM has embodied many of King Henry's personality traits and quirks very well like you said, and Natalie Dormer was great as Anne...I will miss her this season.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 3207

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 2:22 am

Yay, a Tudors thread!

Regarding Anne, I think it was a little bit of both. Yes, she was manipulative and cunning but at the same time, she was used to further her family's ambitions. At the end of the day, though, I believe she really did love Henry. Don't forget that her affair with the King lasted about 10 years or more before they were able to marry so she was no spring chicken by the time she became Queen.

BTW, in real life, Henry VIII considered himself a good Catholic until he died. He obviously saw things in the Church he didn't like but he had no real use for the Reformers who wanted the Church completely destroyed.

I've got a casting suggestion for Season 4. Considering that they have Joss Stone playing Anne of Cleves in Season 3, why not have Miley Cyrus for Catherine Howard? Who knows? Maybe they could get one of the Jonas Brothers to play Thomas Culpepper too.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 6:15 am

Whoa! That casting would send their ratings way up! Laughing Is the show appropriate for that age demographic though?! Wink Hey, are there roles that would be good for Clay and David Cook?! I might pay for that station if they were cast! Razz

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 6:51 am

Quote :
I've got a casting suggestion for Season 4. Considering that they have Joss Stone playing Anne of Cleves in Season 3, why not have Miley Cyrus for Catherine Howard? Who knows? Maybe they could get one of the Jonas Brothers to play Thomas Culpepper too.
Quote :
OH UGH!!Please if I see Miley one more time I may scream.

You know the more I read about Thomas Boleyn and especially the way the actor portrays him I have come to the conclusion I DESPISE him. I would never put my child in danger for my own ambition.

Man I watched the episode last night where Sir Thomas Moore is beheaded . It was gut wrenching.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 10:28 am

I was disappointed that Jeremy Northam didn't get an Emmy nomination this year. I thought he was the most deserving of the cast although certainly not the only deserving member.

Firecracker, no the show is not geared towards the Miley set but she is the right age for it. I doubt seriously if they'd consider her or if she'd even want to do it if it was offered. I'm not sure if either David or Clay is suited for any part. Maybe the Duke of Cleves or one of Catherine Howard's boy toys. But they'd both have to do some serious body work for any torture scenes if they play one of her boyfriends.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:22 am

I know!! I thought Jeremy Northam was fantastic! I cannot believe this show did not get more nominations. It is so beautifully done. PeterO'Toole is great as Pope Paul , isn't he? I could listen to him talk all day. I just saw him Lawrence of Arabia a few weeks ago. My, my he was gorgeous. His eyes are beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm

Yes indeed - Clay and DC would need some major work-outs. Maybe I could help them with that Razz

How are the ratings for this show? I swear most of the Emmy nominations seem to go to pretty successful shows. I mean it does happen, but it seems to me the actors on the higher rated shows get looked at first and maybe if there is a spot left someone from a "smaller" show will sneak in there on the ballot. I, along with so many critics, felt Lauren Graham was overlooked every year for Gilmore Girls in favor of the ladies from Grey's or Housewives etc.

Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 pm

The ratings are pretty good. Mad Men got 16 nominations and it only has about 2 million viewers. Dexter got quite a few noms as well and it's on Showtime. I just don't why The Tudors was overlooked.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 6:25 pm

I agree with you Aerwin, I was really shocked when The Tudors got dissed at the Emmy's...which I think they did. I wonder why too...I think it is one of the best HBO miniseries shows ever! Much better than the Sopranos IMO.

Don't know if there are any Alan Ball fans out there, but I read he is doing another show that involves dead people...now come on, talk about formula TV shows...and i loved Six Feet Under, don't get me wrong. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:56 pm

I was surprised Peter O'Toole didn't get a Guest Actor nod. I thought he played Pope Paul III as kind of a combination Osama Bin Laden and a Mafia don.

Yay me! I ordered Season 1 today
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 4:43 am

Oh Good ! I have both seasons. Then I can rewatch when I want.
\

Quote :
Don't know if there are any Alan Ball fans out there, but I read he is doing another show that involves dead people...now come on, talk about formula TV shows...and i loved Six Feet Under, don't get me wrong. Rolling Eyes
Quote :
His new show is called TrueBlood based on the southern vampire series by Charlaine Harris, I love the books.

Surely the costumes were nominated for this show, they are beyond gorgeous.

I just read Plain Jane a novel about Jane Seymour. I really enjoyed it. In one part of the book Jane speculates that her son will be a great monarch and Princess Elizabeth will scarcely be remembered. it is just so funny to me that Elizabeth is one of the best loved and well known monarchs of all time. Henry did all his angsting over a son for naught.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 8:26 am

O-o, so Henry finally gets his son eh? I must admit, other than the Anne Boelyn years, I am quite ignorant as to the full story of King Henry's life.

Good to know the new AB series is based on some good books..and I seriously love Vampire stuff! Now I am really excited!
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 11:44 pm

I also ordered "Anne Of The Thousand Days" and "Mary, Queen of Scots".
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 4:27 am

horselaydee wrote:
O-o, so Henry finally gets his son eh? I must admit, other than the Anne Boelyn years, I am quite ignorant as to the full story of King Henry's life.

yes he finally did have a son but Edward died at 15 probably from tb. His protectors convinced him to leave the throme to his cousin Lady Jane Grey which is another tragic , interesting story.

Badger I watched Mary queen of Scots. It was pretty good. But the acting seemed funny to me. Dated , maybe. I have always wanted to see Anne of A thousand days.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 11:24 am

I remember seeing Anne of a Thousand
Days and thinking it was one of the most powerful films I had ever seen, but that was many years ago when I was practically a child. Rolling Eyes I love the french actress that played Anne's performance..what was her name? Genevieive Bujold or something?
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:36 pm

Yes, it was Genevieve Bujold.

You know, Lady Jane Grey was Charles Brandon's granddaughter from his marriage to Henry's sister Mary so I wonder if she's going to be mentioned in the show at all.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 6:43 am

I have the movie Lady Jane here from Netflix. It is from the 80's and stars Helena Bonham Carter. I love her. I will let you know how it is.

Ye GADS I am in love with Henry Cavill the guy that plays Charles Brandon.I do wonder if they will mention Lady Jane. Btw that Mark Smeaton is beyond gorgeous. I swear he has some of the prettiest dark brown eyes I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:36 am

Yay, my DVDs shipped today!

ITA with you about Henry Cavill and Mark Smeaton. But really, there are a lot of hotties on this show.

Some more news. Apparently, Hans Mathieson who played Archbishop Cranmer will not be back next season. I'm guessing they're recasting the part.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 11:39 am

Badger wrote:

Some more news. Apparently, Hans Mathieson who played Archbishop Cranmer will not be back next season. I'm guessing they're recasting the part.
I wonder Why? Didn't y'all say that tey recast Jane, too?

Hey give us a review after you watch your movies!
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 1:58 am

I'm not sure why they recast Jane Seymour, but apparently Hans Mathieson just thought it was time for him to move on.

I think my movies should be here by the weekend if not sooner, so hopefully I should be able to review them by then.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am

Maybe some of these actors that have been replaced got better offers or had conflicts with other gigs...because that gets confusing when the actors keep changing-I can't imagine the producers would intentionally do that.

Has anyone seen "The other Boelyn" yet? It is on Direct TV and I thought I might check it out this weekend...
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 8:12 am

I watched The Othet Bloeyn Girl . It is pretty good. I would say it is worth watching. Eric Bana is a decent Henry. I cannot stand Scarlett Johansen though. She is in EVERYTHING. You cannot get away from her.

I watched Lady Jane last night with a VERY YOUNG Helena Bonham Carter. I just love her. It was very good though and was pretty historically acurate. It featured King edward a lot Henry's son. I have a soft spot in my heart for him. So sad he died so young.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Oo-o! I love young and more mature Helena...I find her a fascinating actor.

Yes, the combo of Natalie Portman and Scarlet J. did'nt exactly thrill me, but since you say it is pretty good I may give it a watch.

How young was Prince Edward when he passed away? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! Empty

Back to top Go down

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next