Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!

Go down 
+2
Firecracker
aerwin
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 6:53 pm

I'm DVR'ing it along with America's Next Top Model and Stylista

I remember right before Prince Charles' Investiture Ceremony as Prince of Wales, there was a similar type special.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

Number of posts : 2475

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 7:20 pm

No, I don't get PBS on Direct TV without subscribing to certain network channels that carry it. I only get fox and one other network, so it is doubtful.

Hope someones recaps the highlights for those who can't or don't get a chance to watch it.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82371

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Wow, I just can't believe that you do not get PBS Shocked It is such a part of Chicago television history. So much local programming is shown on PBS here too. I have PBS kids on most mornings during snack time. I personally love Clifford the Big Red Dog Laughing

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 11:52 pm

I could get it if I paid extra for it by getting more network shows. I really don't care for most network sitcoms so it isn't worth it to me. I use to have it when we lived in Texas and when we had regular cable. I use to love the music shows and of course BBC.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 12:37 am

I've been lucky because all the cable systems I've had include our local and public broadcast stations. I know some systems make you pay extra.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

Number of posts : 1200

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 8:57 am

Remember Hans Matheson that played Thomas Cranmer? He is in Tess that I am currently watching on PBS Masterpiece Classic. He plays Alec D'Urberville the villian in piece . He will also be in the upcoming Sherlock holmes movie with RDJ.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 am

I wonder who they got to replace him on the show? I know he announced a while back that he was leaving to take the role on Tess but I don't think anything's been said about a replacement.

Woo-hoo, Amazon finally shipped my Season 2 DVD!
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 10:30 am

Congrats Badger! Enjoy!! :D

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 am

Quote :
I know he announced a while back that he was leaving to take the role on Tess but I don't think anything's been said about a replacement.
Quote :
Tess is only a total of four hours though. It is over this Sun. He is also in the upcoming movie Bathory, starring anna Friel of Pushing daisies. So Perhaps he gave up The Tudors for several roles. I can't think that they will do away with the character.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:26 pm

This is fun:

http://www.whothetudorareyou.com/

I am a prostitute.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:50 pm

OMG I AM A QUEEN!!!!!!! Shocked HA - it must be because I am OLD! Razz

Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 4:06 pm

WHAT??? I wanted to be a Queen!!
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 4:28 pm

For the life of me I cannot imagine how you can be a prostitute!! No Maybe it is the red hair! Razz

(my family would probably tell you I am a Queen. Middle aged, overweight, and bossy! Laughing )

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 4:53 pm

I am a peasant....dayum FC! Too bad you will lose your head though! Wink
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 pm

Oh well, I lost my mind awhile ago. Might as well lose the head too!

Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 2:45 am

Woo hoo! My Tudors DVD came Wednesday! Apparently on some of the DVDs, there is no Finale episode but mine was just fine.

Ha, according to the quiz, I am an actress.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 6:34 am

Congrats on getting your DVD Badger! Glad you got a good one!

Funny how we are all "different"!

Hey, maybe I should put that little "Queen smilie" as my siggy! :queen: Hmmm, now we need to find a "prostitute" smilie for Aerwin! I will get right on that Laughing

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 pm

Well, that has got to be the most positive article I have ever read about former Idol contestants!
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 pm

OH CRAP! I put that in the wrong thread! I am going to move it!

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 11:22 pm

i wondered what Idol stuff was doing here, but thought "oh well", maybe I misread the thread title! Laughing

Gotta hit the hay now, have an early one tomorrow!
Night!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Quote :
LOS ANGELES -- It was a simple question to Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who plays King Henry VIII on "The Tudors."
My question: "At some point are you going to start gaining weight?"
I thought he was going to say, "Off with his head." The actor, a two-time Golden Globe nominee for his dynamic work on the Showtime drama, has the royal bearing down. And, man, can this actor talk.
"I'm not going to turn into the Holbein painting," Rhys Meyers told me. "I think it would defeat the purpose of what I've done in the first three seasons. I played in my way, you know. Yeah, I could have gone down dying the red hair and putting on the extra weightage for it, but then that becomes something that's already done by other people. I think if you want to look at somebody who's closest to what probably Henry looked like I think Robert Shaw probably is the closest. He had that sense of
athleticism, but also you can see that the weight is going to come on in later years. I'm not that guy. This is not that show. We wanted to do something that had this historical backdrop to it with 'The Tudors,' which is a very, very fascinating period in time, but we are also making television, and it has to be entertaining. So we have to sort of mess with history a little bit. And in costume me as Henry you are going a completely different way. You are looking at a perspective, a certain perspective of Henry. I think the reason why that image of Henry standing there with all that weight survived so long, that image is so implanted into people's brains, is because Holbein was a great artist and it is great art and
that's why it lasted. There were other paintings of Henry when he was a younger man but these are not the images that are instilled into our mind. We have this, especially in school, I was instilled with this, you know, with this food-guzzling, beer-guzzling, womanizing rotund monarch, well, he was a tyrant, he was a bad politician. He was a lapsed religious man who was completely out of touch with his spirituality by the time his reign ended. And he went through a lot of turmoil within that reign, but I had to play him my way so, you know, maybe a few extra pounds but nothing to write on your computer about I'm afraid."

On that point, his majesty was wrong.
Executive producer Michael Hirst, who has written all 28 episodes so far, weighed in, too -- so to speak.
"It's not a documentary," Hirst said. "But the effect of it has been to absolutely galvanize the teaching of history in schools and universities, not only across America, in lots of other countries. I think, 'The Tudors' is now showing in about 70-some-odd countries, but we have it on records and lots of people write me e-mails about how people, students are really interested in history now."
Hirst said classes discuss what historically accurate and what isn't. "It's made history come alive for lots of people," he said.
Another way "The Tudors" will depart from the historical record: Pretty singer Joss Stone will play Anne of Cleves, Henry's fourth wife.
Anne of Cleves is "usually represented as unattractive, and that's why Henry didn't like her," said actor James Frain, who plays Thomas Cromwell. "The chances are that actually she was attractive. It's just that Henry didn't like her, so that's how it went down in the books."
Portraits of Anne of Cleves suggest she was attractive, Frain said.
"She was definitely one of the more attractive wives," Hirst said.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:04 pm

So how do you feel about JRM's take on the weight issue? Honestly, I think he is too vain to put on weight for any part, but that would'nt come off quite as artistic now would it? Wink
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 am

That's what I think it is too. He's right in that Henry was a handsome athletic young man when he became King and that he wasn't always the fat bloated monarch we think of today. But by the time he married Jane Seymour, he was heavy. However, I think TPTB don't want Henry to be unattractive, so even if JRM wanted to either gain the weight or go the fat suit route, I doubt if they'd let him.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:07 am

Oh I bet he's vain. But PLUS it is on Showtime and it is supposed to be sexy. So really I don't think they would show a overweight naked leading man. Everyone knows it is not totally accurate. I do disagree with him about Robert Shaw . I think Ray Winstone is probably the closest in looks. I do like the red hair though. And they don't even let Baby Elizabeth have red hair.
I wonder when red hair started to be like you know sort of a curse? Because the Tudors were red haired.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:26 am

Is he naked on the show??! DAMN! Too bad I don't get Showtime! Evil or Very Mad

I love red hair!! Too bad they didn't keep The Tudors with red haird. There have been lots of gorgeous red headed actresses! There doesn't seem to be as many red haired actors I can think of.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next