Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!

Go down 
+2
Firecracker
aerwin
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
aerwin

aerwin

Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 6:32 am

Quote :
How young was Prince Edward when he passed away?
Quote :
Fifteen , He was actually king then. After he died the crown passed to Lady Jane for a very short time. Because Edward's advisors did not want a Catholic to take the crown.Which was Mary. She Was horrible. Everyone called her bloody mary. So they were actually right. I know Mary had a pretty rough time as a child , but I actually do not like her at all.
I love Helena. I will watch her in anything.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

Number of posts : 2475

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:29 am

Fifteen? How sad indeed. I am so looking forward to this next season of the Tudors. I am sad that some of the actors left because they were all so good, but still think the story is so fascinating and the production is top notch.

I wonder how far in history the story will go...all the way through the reign of bloody mary? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82369

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Is the drink "Bloody Mary" named for her Shocked

Good lord does Aerwin know her royal history or what??!!

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:04 pm

She sure does!!!! Aerwin is our resident Tudor history expert! We are so lucky to have her! Now Badger is not chopped liver either! She knows her stuff as well!

:king:
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:19 pm

Well, I watched Charles and Di get married! Laughing Does that count for anything? Razz

Yes, we are so lucky to have Aerwin and Badger here with us!! :king: :queen:

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 3207

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 2:28 am

Woo hoo, my DVDs came today! I watched Mary, Queen of Scots and thought it was good. I loved Glenda Jackson as Queen Elizabeth I.

Has anyone here ever read Mark Twain's The Prince and The Pauper? That's a fictionalized story of Edward VI.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 5:41 am

Firecracker wrote:
Is the drink "Bloody Mary" named for her Shocked

Good lord does Aerwin know her royal history or what??!!
Heh I never thought of the drink being named for her. Besides my dogs and sheep Royals are my hobby I LOVE Anything about The Tudors. They are my favorites. I am so glad I have others to chat with this about.

I just read that the series hope to go through all six of Henry's wives. They could go beyond that. It is after All called The Tudors.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 9:19 am

I'd like to see them go at least as far as Mary's reign. If her mother had been treated better by the king, would Mary have been the way she was? With Henry, you had to let him have his own way or at least let him think you were letting him have his own way, and I believe Katharine was unable to do that. How would history have been different if she had not fought the annulment of her marriage?

If they do choose just to do the six wives and end it there, I hope they would go as far as to show what happened to Anne of Cleves and Katharine Parr both of whom survived Henry.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 11:30 am

Yeah I know Mary and her Mother were treated terribly by Henry. But from everything I've read of her and all the executions she approved just because people would not be terroized into praticing the Catholic faith I just don't care for her.I mean look at Elizabeth she didn't have a great childhood either but she turned out to be one of the most powerful and effective leaders in the world. And Well loved. I do know Henry was a tryant in his way and ALWAYS wanted his way , I just find that he does have some redeeming qualities.he was very child like in a way. I am most fond of him for some reason. And he was a very intelligent man.

I would love it if they would go as far as Mary's reign and into Elizabeth's. I hope we do get to see Ann and Katherine's story beyond Henry's death.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 Jonathan-rhys-meyersfrontMake Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 Nsfron10

I agree with you both, I want the Tudors to go into Mary and Elizabeth's reigns too. It is fun to learn ab out this period, and I love it too!

Some folks over at a doll forum I hang at ordered a customized head mold for JRM...they shoot for a likeness of 80%.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 1:35 pm

OH wow!! That mold will so work! I bet that will be one amazing doll! Be sure and bring any pix of him here when it is completed!

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 Hbc-lovett-wig
Will do! Some of the minime molds come out cool looking and others turn out looking scary like this helena bonham carter...sorry to invade this thread with the doll stuff, but at least it is on topic! Wink
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 6:14 pm

I think she looks a little more like Minnie Driver than Helena Suspect

Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 6:46 am

I agree it looks more like Minnie Driver. But that JRM doll looks a lot like him. Is the person going to dress him tudor style?
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 9:09 am

I don't know...but there is a group of 10 people that ordered the JRM head so I bet at least one of them will! Will keep you posted! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 10:51 am

I watched my Anne Of The Thousand Days DVDyesterday. Richard Burton and Genevieve Bujold were brilliant. Their characterizations were much more cold and calculating than JRM and Natalie Dormer's were. In The Tudors, Anne Boleyn plays hard to get because that's the best way to keep the king's interest. Once he's gotten something, he no longer cares about it. In the movie, he's still the same way, but Anne's reluctance to get involved is more because she isn't attracted to him, not because of any game playing. And, truthfully, she seemed more interested in the power and prestige of being Queen and in her children being legitimate heirs than in being Henry's wife.

Getting back to Anne of Cleves, she had a good life after her marriage to the King ended. She was given Hever Castle which was Anne Boleyn's childhood home. After Thomas Boleyn died, all his property reverted back to The Crown, which is how Henry got it. Anyway, Anne of Cleves had grown up in a rather austere environment where having a good time was considered low on the list of priorities for a Princess so when she came to England she was pretty much your average stick in the mud. Well, actually, she was kind of like someone today who wants to have friends and fun but doesn't know how. Anyway, after her divorce, she began taking an interest in fashion and good food and dancing and games and really blossomed. She got along well with Henry and also with his children and with the wives who followed her although some sources say she hoped to remarry Henry after Catherine Howard and was upset when he chose to wed Katharine Parr.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 6:44 am

Thanks Badger I put Anne of The thousand days in my netflix queue. I can't wait. I am sure Richard Burton is fantastic.

I am very interested in Anne Of Cleves. I have tried to find a biography of her to no avail. However i did find a fictional account of her life that I am going to read. I did read in the Six Wives by Alison weir that she basically had a terrible life and her brother was cruel to her so she was very happy to stay n England. i have wondered why Henry rejected her so. Her Holbein potrait actually looks attractive and I think that is what intigued him in the first place. I did read that he thought she smelled. But others speculate that maybe she did not want him. Because at that time he was obese and had that terribly infected leg that supposedly smelled. I am sure though when The Tudors returns JRM will be fit as fiddle. :) She did end up outliving all of Henry's other wives abd she was supposedly happy.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 7:02 am

Was it a turkey leg? Razz

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 11:16 am

Turkey leg??? Those don't smell though...hopefully! Wink Laughing
Badger wrote:
Quote :
I watched my Anne Of The Thousand Days DVDyesterday. Richard Burton and Genevieve Bujold were brilliant. Their characterizations were much more cold and calculating than JRM and Natalie Dormer's were.
Badger, It is good to hear that your impression of AOTD coincides with my faded memory of it. It certainly made an impression on me that has lasted years..- I still have clear images of Anne (Genevieve) in the tower and her suffering. I hope to see it again someday. Did the costumes and sets hold up to today's standards?
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 11:20 am

I just was thinking of all those pix of the King chowing down on turkey legs Razz

Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 7:16 pm

I don't know that it's fair to compare costumes since "The Tudors" is a much different interpretation than AOTD. I think AOTD was going for a much more traditional take so the costumes reflect that. Actually there isn't a whole lot of difference in the costumes except for maybe being a little less body-conscious in the case of AOTD. Richard Burton's Henry physically is kind of a transitional figure between Charles Laughton's grotesquely fat characterization and Jonathan Rhys Myers hunky hottie. His Henry is definitely middle-aged and not the fine figure of a man he used to be but he hasn't quite gone to seed yet.

I pre-ordered Season 2 today.

Oh and having become a David Alpay fan - he's the guy who played Mark Smeaton - over the summer I checked out Season 2 of "Slings and Arrows" which was a Canadian TV series about a town which hosts an annual theatre festival. Anyway, I got the DVD fully expecting to enjoy David's performance but maybe not caring all that much about anything else. If anyone here remembers "The Kids In The Hall", Mark McKinney is one of the regulars (he's also one of the writers) of this show. I found myself really enjoying the series and the regular actors who were in it. I think the way the show worked is that the regulars played behind the scenes people and supporting characters/understudies/chorus in the plays while they got "guest stars" to play the lead characters like Hamlet, etc. I think one of the reasons I liked it is that one of the plays they do is "MacBeth" and at one point the director and the leading lady go to see an elementary school production of the show. My sister's fifth-grade class did "MacBeth" so it kind of reminded me of that.

Anyway, I saw that you could buy all three seasons (it's around 6 or 7 episodes) so I ordered it. Has anyone else ever watched the show? I know it was on either IFC or The Sundance Channel.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 11:53 am

Quote :
HENRY WON'T GET FAT

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 Tv073
Why wreck Rhys Meyers?

Last updated: 9:50 am
September 2, 2008
Posted: 4:18 am
September 2, 2008
THE most famously fat king in history, Henry VIII, will stay skinny for his TV close-up.
That's what the producers of "The Tudors" told a London newspaper during filming of the series' third season in Ireland.
"We still want him to be appealing," said Morgan O'Sullivan, an executive producer.
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, one of the Hollywood's most handsome leading men, plays the monarch in the Showtime series.
"We don't want to destroy his good looks," said the producer. "An exact portrayal of Henry is not a factor that we think is important."
The latest installment takes Henry up to his divorce from Anne of Cleves, wife No. 4, who is played by singer Joss Stone.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Well, there you go. We have a definitive answer to our question about JRM's weight status future on the series! Oh well, we will just have to continue enjoying the tights I guess!

Good point Badger about it not being a fair comparison to look at the costumes of The Tudors and AOTD...How old was Richard Burton when he played the part, early 50's? How historically accurate was that I wonder?
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 11:39 pm

Burton was in his early 40's at the time. Henry VIII was around 34 when his romance with Anne Boleyn began and 42 when he finally was able to marry her.

BTW, I got a copy of Oliver Stone's Alexander last Christmas and both JRM and Nick Dunning are in it. JRM plays Hephaestion (not sure of the spelling) who was rumored to be Alexander's lover and Nick plays Alexander's father's second wife's uncle. It's a pretty good movie and they both are quite good in it too.

I read somewhere else that they do plan to age Jonathan so we'll see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks for the info on Henry's real age Badger! He really was with Anne or was involved with her for quite a while! Was she his longest paramour?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!   Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Make Way for The King! Calling All Tudorphiles!
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next