Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Crazy About Mad Men!

Go down 
+2
aerwin
Firecracker
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
nouniness

nouniness

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 am

Watching the assassination footage was almost unbearable. It was like living through it all again; I kept hoping in my little girl heart that this time there would be a happy ending.

That event broke my heart, and changed me forever. I believe that it changed an entire generation.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82415
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:22 am

I was only 7. I knew it was horrible and sad - but I bet it was worse for you. Bobby was the bad one for me. I was in 8th grade and LOVED him! I remember walking to school that morning sobbing all the way.

Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 am

I think they are leading us toward Peggy and Pete going to work work with Duck.

Yes, I cannot imagine what it would be like to have your wedding day during a time of tragedy. I will never forget that one of my daycare kids birthday was Sept. 11th. She was in kindergarten and I had a little party planned for when she got off the bus. Talk about having a hard time pretending it was a happy day No I remember her mom called me for flight info because she had a friend flying that day - and she kept saying to me "NOT on Madeline's birthday, not on Madeline's birthday!" So very sad.

Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 3207

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:37 am

Poor Pete, having to drink cocoa made with water. LOL!

I think Don still thinks of himself as Dick Whitman, a poor boy who nobody really loved. He never expected to get someone like Betty. Betty was also looking for the "dream": a handsome husband who would sweep her off her feet in the bedroom, provide her with a nice lifestyle and give her beautiful, well-behaved babies. That's not enough for her anymore.

Regarding the assassination, it's being said that we are starting to see the "generation gap" form now. It seems like the older characters ("the grownups") are saying that everything is going to be okay, that we will be sad for awhile, but it will all be fine in the end. The younger characters seem to see this as a watershed event, something that changes everything and that it will never be the same again. It's like Pete saying that we had this young President who was so inspirational and now we're stuck with this old guy that no one voted for.

I was 6 when JFK was assassinated. All I remember is playing with some kids and one kid's mother coming out to tell us that the President had died. I do remember the RFK assassination much more clearly. I was in the 6th grade, and it was very near the end of the school year. I had a clock radio then that I used to listen to in my bedroom for about 1/2 hour until I had to get up for school. Anyway, on the news they reported that he had been shot in the head. For some reason, while we were eating breakfast, my dad asked me if anything was going on in the news. I said, "Yeah, Bobby Kennedy got shot in the head". Maybe it was because I was so young, but I didn't realize how serious that was. Anyway, my dad jumped up and turned on the television in the living room so we could watch the news.

When we got to school, we had prayers for RFK along with our regular prayers (this was a Catholic school).

John John's birthday was the same day as JFK's funeral.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:54 am

I went to catholic school too. It was a very difficult day.

You hit the nail on the head with the "generation" gap.

Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

Number of posts : 1200

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 am

I was born on 64 so I don't remember. I do remember Bobby though. Last year when we were in Dallas we toured the site where JFK was shot. It just made me incredibly sad. Since then I have become very interested in the subject. But I can see how the whole nation was mourning. It is STILL very sad. I would like to think that could not happen today.
Back to top Go down
nouniness

nouniness

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 11:58 am

I was in high school when JFK was assassinated. At first I was numb, and then I cried, and I cried, and I cried--for three days straight. I could barely stand to be alive.

For me, he was an icon. I idolized him and Jackie--she was the kind of woman I could only dream of being: Elegant, educated, cultured. Oh, I wanted to be just like her! The children were just adorable. The entire country fell in love with that family.

And in an instant, it all came to an end. Someone had snatched away our beloved president, and all that he represented to the country: Stength, hope, future.

And who were we left with? A man from the very state that killed our president--at least that's how we saw it. It might have been unfair, but I couldn't simply believe that some low-life joker had managed to kill the most powerful man in the world. Security was very lax that day.

Very lax.

I won't go on with my thoughts about a conspiracy. They all go in circles, and we won't solve the mystery here. But Kennedy made some very powerful enemies.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Yes he did and so did Bobby - or so I've heard.

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 4:52 am

It was so ding dang great last night!! I am so excited about what they are doing and what a great way to bring Joan back into the fold!! Go Peggy Go Pete!!

Now the looooooooooog ass wait for the show to return :(

Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 11:52 am

ITA! What a great episode! How great was it that Don finally acknowledged how good both Peggy and Pete were at their jobs. Pete's got his faults but he's the most forward-thinking of the bunch. BTW, how cute was he in his jammies and robe?! And notice how he knew exactly what Trudy meant when she asked to see him? He went immediately from petulant brat mode to "Where do I sign" in a nanosecond. And Joan coming back and knowing exactly what needed to be done was awesome. Also Trudy and the sandwiches. It's obvious she and Pete work as a team.

So many great lines. "Can you get me a cup of coffee?" No!"

"YOU'RE FIRED!" "Very well, Happy Christmas."

And Don finally learning about Henry Francis and confronting Betty.

And once again, Harry lucks out and gets something even though he has no idea what happened.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Yes - all awesome!! Pete was adorable and I have really come to like Trudy!!

Peggy's NO to the coffee was CLASSIC!!

Joan is da BOMB in every way!!

Don calling Betty a whore though really bothered me when you consider what a total CAD he is!!

Award winning episode in my book!!

Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Actually, I don't think Don's calling Betty a whore had anything to do with sex. One of the underlying themes of this season is the idea that there's a difference between people who have things handed to them and people who make their own way and create their own successes and failures. Both Ho Ho's father and Connie Hilton said their kids didn't understand them because they didn't know what it was like to have to work to make their own destinies. Connie told Don he didn't like complainers and was Don someone who would just complain if things didn't go his way or would he seize the opportunity to change.

Anyway, I think Don's whore comment was more about him seeing her as someone who takes what she's given and doesn't make her own destiny. I also think there's a bit of resentment that comes from him being a poor kid and her being from a more prosperous background. I was watching Frost/Nixon right before Mad Men, and one of the things that colored Nixon's career and in many ways caused his downfall was his resentment towards what he saw as the elites who got everything because of who they were and never had to earn anything and who he thought looked down on him because he grew up poor. I got some of the same vibe from Don this episode in regards to Betty.
Back to top Go down
nouniness

nouniness

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Was last night's the last episode of the season?
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm

Yep - season finale Crying or Very sad

You could be right Badger. I guess I don't see Don as that deep sometimes. To me it was because he found out she was seeing someone because he didn't say that to her when she first wanted a divorce - only after Roger blabbed. Frankly I think he is shallow enough to think it is fine he sleeps around but god forbid Betty does!

Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 5:44 am

I agree with FC . Don is SO narcissistic he can't see past the blinders on his face. It's ok for HIM to do just as he pleases but not anyone else!

I LOVED this episode. I was so happy to see Joan I could cry. And I am very happy that Don is getting what he deserves. Betty should leave him. He is an utter complete fraud. Just because he grew up poor does not give him an excuse. My own Dad had a terrible childhood . Extremely poor, one of 11 , alcoholic father and he was the best Dad on earth.

I hope they leave Ken back behind. I cannot stand him. I am very happy Jared Harris will be back next year! I love him. Maybe Sal will come bacK??
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 am

I love Jared Harris too!! I would have been very disappointed if he left the show. Kenny? Couldn't care less about him either way. I do hope this is the way to get Sal back on the show!! He would be perfect for the new company I think.

Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 6:15 pm

I wonder how Mrs. Pryce is going to take the news. And is Moneypenny going along with Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce or will he be staying with PPL?

I'm pretty sure that Sal will be back next season although in what capacity I don't know. Maybe the guy who propositioned him will end up being disinherited or something and that's how they'll be able to bring him back.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 5:03 am

I hope you are right about Sal! Oh Mrs. Pryce will be livid won't she?
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 11:11 am

Matt Weiner interview

He says the Draper marriage is definitely over and that he doesn't know what's going to happen with Sal, Ken or Paul. I've read rumors that
Spoiler:
is the character that will not be returning.

You know, if you watched closely this year, an underlying theme throughout the show seemed to be some variation on the theme "I got everything I have on my own; I have no patience for whiners. My kids don't understand that because they've had everything handed to them." Connie said it to Don twice, once when he was speaking about his own children and then in the last episode. Ho Ho's dad said it about his son.

Another underlying theme was "I want what I want when I want it". I think the finale brought both those ideas together.

That's what I think the idea of them starting a new company was. All the people who went with Cooper Sterling Draper Pryce wanted something. The question was whether or not the were the kind of people who wanted things handed to them or were they the kind of people who make things happen for themselves and who are willing to take risks?

Even with Betty, you can see that. Was she going to be the kind of person who's always unhappy or is she going to take charge of her life and change what's making her unhappy?
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Well damn......

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 8:50 pm

So who watched the season premier? I did. For some reason the fist few shows of each season are rather dull. I not only fell asleep during the fist showing - but also the second Laughing I did manage to finally see it all. I know it will get better. It always does.

Don is one messed up man!

Peggy is cute and I like her new partner/assistant.

Not enough of certain cast members for me. I know that will change though. I am certainly going to miss some of the people though - like Sal.

Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:16 pm

I thought it was a good episode. It was fun to see how everyone had changed. Harry actually was kind of hot. I thought Peggy looked great too. She's never going to be Joan in terms of ability to wear clothes but she looked fun and modern instead of like a dowdy Catholic schoolgirl on her first job.

And wasn't Henry's mother a hoot?
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Oh yes she was!! What a character! Perfect casting too!

Yes, Henry can be appealing.

I always thought Peggy was adorable. No, nobody is going to be like Joan!

Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 12:18 am

I noticed that the actor who plays Ken Cosgrove (Aaron Staton) is still listed as a regular in the opening credits. I wonder if he'll be joining SCDP or will they have something else in mind for his character.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crazy About Mad Men!   Crazy About Mad Men! - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Crazy About Mad Men!
Page 13 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next