Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!

Go down 
+4
Sky
AngelWings
claytoncavaliers
Firecracker
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82369
Registration date : 2008-08-09

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! Empty
PostSubject: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Media reviews go here!

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
claytoncavaliers

claytoncavaliers

Number of posts : 6399
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Sacramento review   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:01 pm

CONCERT REVIEW: PACKED ARCO ARENA REVELS IN IDOLATRY

By Leigh Grogan
lgrogan@sacbee.com

Published: Saturday, Jul. 11, 2009 - 10:07 am
Last Modified: Saturday, Jul. 11, 2009 - 10:48 am

The monster machine that is the "American Idols Live! Tour 2009" roared into Arco Arena last night. And, for three hours, fans of the TV show and the Top 10 finalists were treated to a spectacle of lights, theatrics and amazing music.
(Maybe Beyonce stuck around after her show here Thursday. It would have been worth it!)
A member of arena security estimated the crowd at "near capacity - if not more." It was a packed audience, willing to spend close to $70 for the coveted floor level seats and filling the upper levels almost to the top. Sacramento was only the fourth stop on a tour that will criss-cross the country through Sept. 15.
So last night, fans were lucky to have the "Idols" psyched and well-rested.
Many waited in line to snap up T-shirts, programs and teddy bears. Susan Strongfellow of Sacramento was bound and determined to add a shirt to her collection. "I told my husband to sit down, I'm getting one!" she said in line. This was her first-ever "Idol" concert. Her favorite performer? "Definitely Adam Lambert."
It was a girls' night out for Susan Kanold and her daughter Anna, 12, who came from Lodi for the show - also their first. "Kris (Allen) is my favorite," said Anna. Her mom says Danny Gokey is her sentimental favorite.
The show opened with blazing lights and the all-too-familiar "American Idol" "do-do-do-do-do-do-do" theme music. I half expected Ryan Seacrest to levitate from underneath the stage because it felt like you were actually at the Hollywood show. The acoustics were slightly off at the start, overwhelming some of the lyrics, but the kinks were quickly worked out The format was simple: During the first half of the show the Top 6 "Idols" performed in the order they finished in the competition, each singing two to three songs. So that's where we'll start.
Michael Sarver: Quite the transformation from oil-rigger to performer, Sarver opened the show dressed in black pants and a white, jewel-studded jacket. He dedicated his set to his wife, asking the crowd, "Are you in love with somebody?" His mix of bluesy rock and pop country - especially on Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds" - was a nice start.
Megan Joy: She opened with a perfect song choice for that unique twist she puts on her music - Corinne Bailey Rae's "Put Your Records On." She left the "Idol" competition early but definitely has been putting in rehearsal time. Dressed in a hot pink satin dress and way-high stilettos, Joy didn't shimmy in place as usual; she worked the entire stage.
Scott MacIntyre: No surprise, he rose from underneath the stage playing the piano for all it was worth. His cover of Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles" was well-played and well-sung. And MacIntyre's a guy who doesn't shy from mentioning the tunnel vision that is a part of his life. "Remember when I auditioned and made it through?" he asked. "Ryan's high-five attempt was the high-five heard around the world!"
• Lil Rounds: The mother of three from Memphis took on two of pop music's biggest songs: Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies" and "No One" by Alicia Keys. Her energy was amazing as was her outfit - a black coat dress, beaucoup bling, jeweled stilettos and a black "catsuit" underneath. Lil proved that finishing sooner than later in the competition won't impact her career.
• Anoop Desai: I personally was hoping Anoop "Dawg" wouldn't wear another jacket (and I believe a tie) because I thought the often-seen outfit stiffened his performances on the show, but he did again last night, opting to add a pair of glasses as well. Also, I'm not sure his version of Willie Nelson's "Always on My Mind" was - as Simon Cowell might say - his best performance, but this guy is so likeable. And he's a Tar Heel!
• Matt Giraud: He gets my award for most improved performer. And remember, Giraud was the contestant who got the judges' save this season, which kept him in the competition. He started out not wearing his trademark fedora, but donned the chapeau when he sat at the piano for gutsy, heartfelt performances of "Georgia" and The Fray's "You Found Me."
Before intermission the Top 6 did a medley of songs, including "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" (Joy and Rounds) and the dueling piano men MacIntyre and Giraud with the original "Piano Man" Billy Joel's rockin' "Tell Her About It."
It's a safe bet there are plenty of sore jaws this morning after the jaw-dropping set by 17-year-old rocker Allison Iraheta. It's scary that someone this young has such a mature stage presence. She just took over - from the get-go. Perfect opener? You bet. Pink's "I'm a Rock Star" They had the fans on her flaming-red hair and the leather-studded jacket and black pants were in keeping with her rocker-girl style. And it wouldn't be right if Iraheta didn't treat the crowd to her versions of classic rock standards - Janis Joplin's "Cry Baby" and Heart's "Barracuda."
It was ironic - and appropriate - that Danny Gokey opted to open his set with "PYT," the Michael Jackson song he performed during the competition. His much-maligned dance moves on the show have been replaced by twists and turns with the microphone - all in sync! Loved his haunting cover of Carlos Santana's "Maria Maria." Gokey asked the audience "Do we have any dreamers out there?" And he dedicated his final song, Rascal Flatts' "My Wish," to the Arco crowd.
I don't even know where to begin and end with second-place finisher Adam Lambert. He clearly was the performer this audience was clamoring for. And he delivered. Washed in shades of blue and silver (his signature colors) and wearing a leather "morning coat," Lambert made mincemeat of the microphone with Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love." There was smoke and faux fire as he dominated the stage. He's made perfection out of his haunting reprise of "Mad World" by Tears for Fears, which he sang at least twice on the TV show.
The audience was on its feet for the Lambert/Iraheta duet of Foghat's "Slow Ride," which they also performed on "American Idol." With a bigger stage they played a cat-and-mouse game with the rock classic.
Season 8 winner Kris Allen wouldn't be Kris Allen if he employed the theatrics of Lambert, so it was only fitting that he demonstrated his amazing gift to sing and play both the guitar and the piano. He opened with his amazing cover of Kanye West's "Heartless," which got him rave reviews on the show. He also performed "Ain't No Sunshine." Looking back at when "Idol" fans first met Kris - in January - this young man has matured into a singer/songwriter that deserved the title.
His set closed with Allen leading the audience in a sing-a-long of "Hey Jude." You know the words!
All 10 "Idols" regrouped for the finale, which has now become the theme song for the Fox show "Glee" - Journey's "Don't Stop Believing." The Arco crowd, which probably could have stayed another three hours, was eventually bathed in a wash of bubbles floating from the rafters.
What always amazes when the "American Idol" tour hits Sacramento each summer is the diversity of audience. Grandparents, moms, dads, little kids, tweens, teens. Folks who love eyeliner and eye candy. They wear Vans and they drive vans. And everyone we talked to said they couldn't wait for Season 9.
The tour plays tonight in Oakland and Sunday in San Jose before heading to Southern California.

http://www.sacbee.com/breaking/story/2018522.html?storylink=omni_popular
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:41 pm

American Idols Live Wrap Up

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/conf...opening_ni.html

"American Idols Live" opening night: the wrapup

Posted by Bob Payne

In the end, I think most people at the Rose Arena in Portland on Sunday night went home happy. The Top 10 finalists in Season 8 of "American Idol" were excited to play before such a large and adoring crowd, and for the most part they delivered.

I'm not going to get into an in-depth of each individual's performances -- I'm leaving that for Times arts critic Misha Berson, who will be attending Tuesday night's show in Tacoma and have a complete review online the next morning. Instead, here's a hit list of that things that left the strongest impression with me:

• Mark my words: Adam Lambert was greeted with a deafening roar. Whether you love or hate the guy's vocal technique, there's simply no denying his flair for showmanship. The guy OWNS the stage, with charisma that you can't turn away from.

• It's tough to be No. 1: I've heard some rumblings of discontent over Kris Allen's stage presence last night. I have to give him a pass for two reasons: 1) He's saddled with the horrible coronation song, "No Boundaries"; and 2) because he plays the guitar, it's tougher for him to move around the stage and be as dynamic as some of the other singers. So he mostly just stood at the microphone. (And for those of you slamming me for only shooting video for that one song from Kris, if I had to do it over again, I would have shot a different song. But I only had memory for one more song, at that was the one that presented itself. With twittering and twitpic-ing, I was scrambling to get *any* videos shot. But yes, I'm sorry about that choice.)

• Surprises of the night: Probably Scott MacIntrye and Michael Sarver. Both showed personality and improved performances from their show appearances.

• No suprise here: Allison RAWKS: The 17-year-old from Los Angeles was like a red-maned hurricane. It's about time we had a new generation of women in rock. Well now they have a leader.

• The not-so-great stuff: I actually saw some grimaces in the crowd at the sound of Megan Joy's opening notes. Ouch. And I thought Lil Rounds' takes on contemporary R&B just seemed a little forced and uncomfortable.

If you're going to Tacoma, enjoy the show.

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Oregon Live

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/...s_portland.html

Review: 'American Idol' tour hits Portland -- and we're still with Adam
by Scott D. Lewis, Special to The Oregonian
Monday July 06, 2009, 9:55 AM

Ray Mickshaw/Fox
The top 10 contestants from Season 8 of "American Idol" hit Portland Sunday night.
Adam so should have won.

How you react to that claim may say a lot about you -- at least whether or not you follow "American Idol."

With Portland selected as the first of 50 stops on the American Idols Live! Tour -- featuring the top 10 contestants from the eighth season of the country's number-one television show -- some 12,000 Idolaters of all ages piled into the Rose Garden Arena Sunday night to cheer on their favorite entrants in what could be considered the largest karaoke match in history.

And from the cries as the Idols flashed across projection screens, it was clear who the winner would be.

Michael Sarver couldn't hide his glee, but also couldn't stir the crowd with his awkward two-song fusion of country and R&B. Megan Joy, appearing as Call Girl Barbie, didn't command the stage, and her attempts to mine the soul of "Tears Dry on Their Own" just turned shrill.

Proving that some Idols (it's creepy how they are referred to as such) can do more than sing, Scott MacIntyre's two songs, including a rousing take on "A Thousand Miles," went over well and were amply aided by the five-member backing band.

Lil Rounds, filled out and with long hair, really got the crowd pumped, belting out a trio of tunes from the splashiest ladies in hip-hop. But how did so much vocal sound come from only two backup singers? Never mind, just enjoy the show.

The odd charmer was Anoop Desai. Gangly and geeky, he delivered a power ballad version of "Always On My Mind" that would have made poor Willie hit the hookah hard. Desai's set was, in a word, histrionic, but somehow you just wanted to throw personal clothing at him.

Matt Giraud got fans to their feet with a balance of rock, schlock and fun during "Hard to Handle" and showed he's a showman to be reckoned with, despite the questionable "live" delivery of "You Found Me."

After a top six medley that had all the spontaneity of a parade, and an intermission, it was time for the fans' favorite four.

Allison Iraheta was an absolute rock star, complete with fan-blown rainbow hair and an electric guitar for her confident take on "So What," and she whipped up a witchy wail for a stunning version of "Barracuda" that would have made Ann Wilson drop her fork.

It might have been too early for Danny Gokey to do a Michael Jackson song ("P.Y.T."), but his two Rascal Flatts tunes had the crowd happily waving their $5 glow sticks.

Then it was time for the real show, and it belonged to Adam Lambert.

The slightly androgynous gothy singing sensation absolutely tore up "Whole Lotta Love" and, with help from Iraheta, transformed the classic rock dude anthem "Slow Ride" into something sly and fun.

Finally, the huge hall was full of energy.

And then some guy named Kris Allen came onstage and did a few dull songs, including, oddly, "Hey Jude" to end his winner-but-losing set.

Of course there were the show-closing group numbers, complete with choreographed moves and 10 pumping fists.

But really, Adam won.

-- Scott D. Lewis; jonezinmzk@aol.com

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Tacoma Rock City

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/ej/2009/07...ican_idols_live

Wednesday, July 8th, 2009
Scenes from American Idols Live
Posted by Ernest Jasmin @ 12:48:32 am

Kris Allen and Adam Lambert, a.k.a. American Idols No. 1 and 2, Tuesday night at the Tacoma Dome.
ERNEST JASMIN

A point of disclosure: I’m not the biggest “American Idol” fan. Just don’t get it, actually. It’s kind of like televised karaoke, minus the sloppy drunks singing hideously off-key versions of Crue tunes before hitting the parking lot for a quick chunder. (For the record: Always entertaining.) So over the course of eight seasons, I’ve tuned in only about as much as my nine to five required; that is to say, I mainly just followed local boys Sanjaya, Blake Lewis and A.J. Gil (remember him? Season one?) and ignored most of the rest.

But I must confess that, as jaded as I am, I may have caught just a smidge of Lambert mania Tuesday night.

[More:]

The top 10 idols were on site for the second stop of the American Idols Live 2009 tour, and Adam Lambert was there in all his eye-linered splendor in the No. 2 (but should have been No. 1) slot.

I was sequestered by the T-Dome's security office with the other photogs during the early part of Lambert's set, and could just make out a muffled cover of Tears for Fears' “Mad World.” Then the tour publicist lead us out into the arena just in time to catch the charismatic crooner downshifting from a a fiery rendition of Foghat's “Slow Ride” into an medley of Bowie classics that went from operatic (the always awesome “Life on Mars?”) to slinky and funky. Fans screamed louder than they had all night as Lambert shed his jacket and gyrated his way through a Minneapolis funk-infused version of “Let’s Dance,” before sinking back into the stage.

Very impressive range, Mssr. Lambert. You are, indeed, a rock star. I’m actually looking forward to hearing what you come up with on that album you said you’re cutting later this year. All that Bowie suggest you'll follow through on the promise to go glammy you gave during your recent Rolling Stone interview.

Lambert was the night’s biggest star (I'd argue bigger than winner Kris Allen) but the rest of the “Idol” gang had their moments, too. Tall, leggy Megan Joy tried her hand at Corinne Bailey Rae and Amy Winehouse hits, with just minor pitch problems (if I may pull a Simon Cowell.) Scott McIntyre mocked that infamous high five with "Idol's" Ryan Seacrest between piano ballads. Anoop Desai was the first to get fans on their feet with Bobby Brown’s “My Prerogative.” (Huh? That’s hot again?) But the night’s most diva-like performer (aside from Lambert) was Lil Rounds, confident as he strutted her way through a short set of Mary J. Blige and Beyonce hits.

Armed with piano and acoustic guitar, “Idol” winner Kris Allen capped things off with more of a singer-songwriter oriented set, which was decent if a little bland next to Lambert’s. The rest of his “Idol” homies returned for a two-song finale, which consisted of the Beatles’ “Hey Jude” and (speaking of drunken karaoke) Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’.”

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:44 pm

The Seattle Times

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musi...icanidol09.html

Concert review | "Idol" Top 10 give fans a fun, fresh show
Concert review: The American Idols Live Tour came to the Tacoma Dome in its second stop on July 7.

By Misha Berson

Seattle Times arts critic

If the number of earsplitting screams and shrieks erupting from every mention of his name or glimpse of his face on the JumboTron was any indication, glam rocker Adam Lambert was the superstar of the "American Idols Live!" 2009 summer tour's concert Tuesday night at the Tacoma Dome.

But the rapturous response to Lambert, runner-up in this year's version of the guilty-pleasure TV talent marathon "American Idol," did not convey the whole story of a show that's better paced, better designed, better backed up and, overall, better sung than last year's Idol blowout in Tacoma.

Kris Allen, the winner of the 2009 "Idol" crown, also got plenty of well-deserved love from the crowd of roughly 10,000 — which brought folks from every age group.

No matter how much the crowd loved them, there's no way of knowing at this point where Allen, Lambert or any of these ebullient young singers will end up after time discos on, and the next crew of "Idol" finalists take their places. Yet despite the sabotage of a terribly sludgy sound mix (ranging from the abysmal to the semi-tolerable), the show was a lot of fun.

Fortunately, in this second stop on the nationwide tour (which opened Sunday night in Portland), the excited performers made up in puppyish enthusiasm and smart, often contemporary song choices what they lost in sonic coherence. They also confirmed that the highly partisan "Idol" voters largely got the Top 10 ranking right.

As per usual, the individual sets (with several group numbers spliced in) unfolded in the order of who got booted off the TV contest first.

Likable No. 10 contestant Michael Sarver opened with passable renditions of Gavin DeGraw's hit, "I Just Want a Girl" and (somewhat surprisingly) Ne-Yo's "Closer." And the former Jasper, Texas, working stiff set two precedents carried on by his cohorts. He yelled out "Whazzup, Tacoma?" And he seemed amazed and thrilled to be playing for 10,000 cheering people in a stadium.

Next up was Megan Joy, whose on-screen quirkiness has been glammed up for the stage via lots of makeup, cascading blond tresses a la Jessica Simpson and a tight fuchsia mini-dress. Sex-kitten look aside, she worked the stage awkwardly in matching high-heel boots, with forgettable copycat versions of Corinne Bailey Rae and Amy Winehouse tunes.

A poised, good-natured Scott MacIntyre nudged the energy up a half-notch with some rollicking piano on Keane's "Bend and Break," a sincere take on Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles," and some wry jokes about, well, his blindness.

But it took a shot of dynamism from dolled-up Lil Rounds and a bit of heartthrob swoonery from Anoop Desai to get the joint jumpin'.

Rounds' raw, belting vocal talent comes through much more in her live renditions of neo-soul hits by Alicia Keys and Mary J. Blige than her pinched TV turns. And her future may well lie in such infectious dance anthems as Beyoncé's "Single Ladies," which she dispatched with gusto as the words flashed karaoke-style behind her.

That set the table for preppy crooner Desai. In a double-breasted, velvet-collared blazer and jeans, he made hearts throb with Willie Nelson's "You Were Always On My Mind," sustaining notes and delivering the heartfelt lyric like a seasoned pro. And props to anyone who can make Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative" sound both racy and wholesome.

Then, one of the nicest surprises: piano man Matt Giraud's set. Opening with a brave, sizzling cover of Otis Redding's "Hard to Handle," Giraud came on like a young, jazzier Jerry Lee Lewis, then followed up with a "Georgia" rich in bluesy keyboard stylings — and devoid of the pitchiness and vocal overkill of Giraud's TV turns. All that singing obviously paid off for the guy, who exhibited an ease onstage few of his comrades matched.

Still finding her sea legs in that respect is Allison Iraheta, No. 4 in the competition, and the first up after intermission. Put your bet on this blazing 17-year-old rock wunderkind as one of the most likely to succeed in the group. Garbed in black leather and spandex, her copper-toned hair flying, Iraheta worked her brass lungs and blues chops to ace Janis Joplin's "Cry"; she had the sass for Pink's "So What"; and she ripped right into Heart's "Barracuda." With the right material of her own, Iraheta could be the Joan Jett or Chrissy Hynde of her generation.

Danny Gokey, the husky-voiced second runner-up who's inspired both ardor and disdain among "Idol" watchers, kept people on their feet and dancing. Sporting yet another pair of cool designer specs, he paid worthy homage to Michael Jackson with a blazing version of "PYT (Pretty Young Thing)." And he showed off his salsa flair on Santana's "Maria, Maria" and his soul-country credentials on Rascal Flatt's "What Hurts the Most."

Ah, if only Gokey had left it there instead of ending the set with a "follow your dreams" sermon and the saccharin power-ballad, "My Wish." It's Soul Man Gokey versus Preacher Gokey.

The much-anticipated Lambert set began with the aptly titled "Whole Lotta Love" and moved on to Muse's "Starlight," then the haunting Tears for Fears ballad "Mad World" and a David Bowie medley that drove the Adam-worshippers to even louder screams of passion.

It's not overstating the case to suggest that Lambert really does have the makings of a revivalist, glam-metal rock avatar. The whisper-to-a-scream voice, the pouty sexiness, the elaborate makeup and Lizard King costuming, the androgynous sex appeal — it's all there, just like on the tube, but with wildly pulsating video and more smoke.

By the end of his set, though, Lambert's shtick felt a bit too predictable in its conscious excessiveness. And though no entertainer in their right mind would want to follow his act, the casually attired (plaid shirt, jeans) Allen did so with amazing grace.

Even in a venue that might easily dwarf his more intimate musical approach, Allen rocked the hall with his passionate, "Idol"-winning take on Kanye West's "Heartless," wisely expanded live to include the show's excellent backup band. (Special props to Tim Stewart, a guitarist who can sound like Jimmy Page one minute, Santana the next.)

Yes, he had to perform that tuneless "No Boundaries" ode — another icky "Idol" coronation number.

But he survived that. And he demonstrated a musical creativity and versatility unique among his "Idol" peers, by singing a magnetic "Ain't No Sunshine" at the piano, strapping on an electric guitar for a lively romp through Matchbox Twenty's "Bright Lights," and closing with a brilliant singalong choice: "Hey Jude."

It was followed by the best of the show's ensemble numbers, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin,' " in a finale that left an exhausted but cheering crowd satisfied.

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/Entertainment/...2222/story.html

Tweens go wild for American Idols at GM Place

By Graeme McRanor, Vancouver SunJuly 8, 2009Comments (6)
StoryPhotos ( 5 )

More Images » American Idol winner Kris Allen at GM Place Wednesday night, July 8, 2009 in Vancouver, B.C.Photograph by: Steve Bosch, Vancouver SunAmerican Idols Live! Tour 2009

GM Place

Wednesday night

Here's a tip: Exclamation marks should always be used sparingly, and should not be used to describe a concert tour.

Oh, sure, you could place one informally, say, at the end of "That sucked!" or "A marvelous evening of music!" as you leave the venue.

But in the name itself? Never.

Especially when said tour is called American Idols Live! and features a veritable who's who of the televised version's top 10 from Season 8.

Seriously, who are these people?

Okay, there's Kris Allen, the winner.

And Adam Lambert, who conspiracy theorists claim should have won. (He's gay, in case you didn't hear!)

Then, like the original theme from Gilligan's Island, there's the rest: Allison Iraheta, Anoop Desai, Danny Gokey, Lil Rounds, Matt Giraud, Megan Joy, Michael Sarver and Scott MacIntyre, arguably the most famous blind man in North America and unwitting recipient of Ryan Seacrest's ill-advised and unannounced high-five, probably the most awkward skin slip in television history.

Of course, as Lambert told me earlier in the day, the tour is more musical showcase than concert. Still, it's kind of like watching Stars on Ice, minus the stars.

Harsh? Well, as Simon (Cowell) says, it's a tough business.

Touring on television ratings is like signing a book deal because you're Joe the Plummer: Opportunistic.

While there's talent (and various record deals) in this bunch, there's little original material in the vaults so it's unrealistic to fill GM Place after a gazillion people watched them all perform covers ad nauseam on television.

Right? Well, kind of.

At 3 p.m., four hours before the concert's slated start time, at least a hundred female tweens armed with signs and flanked by moms percolated behind barriers outside of GM Place, hoping for a glimpse of an Idol or, better yet, an autograph.

And while I still firmly believe that placing on a popular talent show doesn't necessarily give you credentials to tour North America, clearly, on this day in Vancouver, I was in the minority.

This fact became magnified inside the stadium, where this late-30-something reporter was seated on the floor (row 10, to be precise) amidst a sea of enthusiastic tweens and teens. (Sing it with me: "One of these things is not like the other/one of these things just doesn't belong.")

As the lights dimmed, the countdown began and the band launched into a live rendition of American Idol's theme song (branding people!), the upperbowl of GM Place remained empty (though to be fair to the Idols, Oasis couldn't populate that either).

Former oil roughneck Michael Sarver got things going with a couple of soulful covers before a cute-but-disturbingly-uncoordinated Megan Joy took the reins (no So You Think You Can Dance for her).

Then it was MacIntyre's turn.

Playing the piano, he actually turned in a solid Keane cover before making a joke about Seacrest's flagrant, five-fingered foul.

"The high-five heard around the world," he said. "That kind of stuff''s been happening my whole life."

By the time Lil Rounds came on (and if you haven't figured it out yet, they're performing in order of elimination), one got the sense that the somewhat muted audience was just politely waiting for Allen and Lambert (mostly Lambert) to take the stage.

Predictable? Yes!

Anoop Desai came next, performing a decent rendition of Always on Your Mind, a song originally recorded by Brenda Lee but made famous by Elvis.

He also performed Bobby Brown's My Prerogative, which really shouldn't be covered by any artist, ever again.

Matt Giraud's got a good voice, but by this time I couldn't help but think that, record deal or not, time will forget most of these performers, and they'll take their place in obscurity, just above cynical music writers.

After a spirited and wind machine-aided performance by the young Allison Iraheta — including an impressive cover of Heart's Barracuda — it was time for the top three.

With Danny Gokey came an increase in female decibels, even though his rendition of Santana's Maria, Maria kind of made him look like a substitute teacher doing karaoke (although he would totally win the prize money in the film, Duets).

Lambert alert! If anyone's a rock star in the making, it's this guy.

Sure, his rendition of Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love sounded a bit showy (think Sebastian Bach rather than Robert Plant), but this kid's got a serious set of pipes. (Although, for some reason, I kept thinking I was the evildoer in a Andrew Lloyd Weber goth musical.)

Still, maybe the legions of Lambert fans have it right: By the time Idol winner Allen took the stage, it kind of felt like the digestif.

Solid singer, but none of Lambert's chrisma, presence or guy-liner.

Bottom line: As talented as every one of these performers is, this "showcase" felt too much like an extension of the televised version.

Like a talent show, without the train wrecks we've come to know and love.

Without the exclamation marks.

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:45 pm

The Globe and Mail

American Idols Live

At GM Place

by FIONA MORROW

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

More than once during the three hour-long American Idols set in Vancouver on Wednesday, I was sorely tempted to climb onto my seat and scream: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more"

Something needed to puncture the sheer inertia of the audience of mostly families - sometimes three generations together - who sat, arms folded, staring lifelessly for the majority of the show. They weren't so much watching a pop concert as revisiting the television show: tolerating the Idols they didn't vote for in order to catch a real glimpse of the reality star they favoured. Unsurprisingly, given the countdown nature of both the show and the concert, that meant the fun wasn't going to start until near the night's climax.

Performing in reverse order, the Top 10 Idols were each given a short set of two to four songs to show us what they were really made of. (Not much, mostly.) It was hard to even muster the energy to wonder on what possible planet doughy, awkward Michael Sarver (scraping in at No. 10) would qualify as a pop star. Still he didn't deserve to place lower than Megan Joy, who not only can't sing (her version of Amy Winehouse's Tears Dry on Their Own was pure torture), or dance, but, in her shiny pink tube dress and four-inch heels, looked like Barbie, too.

Much better was Lil Rounds, who sang in tune, could boast some stage presence and presented a good pick of pop tracks from Mary J. Blige, Alicia Keys and Beyoncé (Single Girls, the first song of the night to get a few brave souls up on their feet and shaking their booty). That she hadn't polled higher than the likes of Matt Giraud (surely headed back to the hotel-lobby circuit from whence he came) and Danny "Hokey" Gokey is a real puzzler.

Even the geeky, angular Anoop Desai managed to show some natural performance ability despite turning the Willie Nelson/Elvis hit Always on My Mind into a Barry Manilow-esque, cruise-ship affair, white jeans included.

One might have expected the second half to kick things up a notch, and pint-sized rock chick Allison Iraheta, flame-coloured hair extensions billowing, did that nicely. Watching the 17-year-old with gravelly pipes belt out a version of Janis Joplin's Cry Baby was one of the few true bright points of the night.

Then Gokey took the spotlight. I admit, I cannot fathom how this whiney-voiced, unhip being was ever a serious contender. Kicking off his set with Michael Jackson's P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) only delivered more evidence of his nose for easy exploitation.

That paled, however, when he related the tale of his wife's death (Sophie Gokey died during heart surgery just four weeks before the American Idol auditions): "And tomorrow," he shared, "is the one-year anniversary of her going to heaven." Segue into Rascal Flatts's My Wish, as the giant video screen on stage became a shot of the sky with a beam of sunlight breaking through the treetops.

Religion was the major player in the final weeks of the show - "bad boy," a.k.a. "gay boy" Adam Lambert, the meat in an evangelical Christian sandwich of Gokey and winner Kris Allen.

Thank God indeed, then, for Lambert. The man the entire crowd had shown up to see, he had them screaming in the aisles - and tossing their undies. Upping the temperature along with the tempo, Lambert was rude, pouty and completely over the top, just as a pop star should be. With a mostly successful set that included Led Zeppelin, Tears for Fears and a very apropos Bowie medley, he offered this panting crowd the possibility of something exciting, dangerous even.

But poor Kris Allen: Never has winning looked more like losing. With hiscringe-worthy performance (ending, miserably, with the terminally drippy Hey Jude), he sucked the air out of the room in seconds. And here we were, back where we began, playing it poorly and safe, making sure everyone drinks their cocoa before bedtime.

Back to top Go down
AngelWings

AngelWings

Number of posts : 17592
Registration date : 2009-06-09

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 3:06 am

Ugh I need to put some Kris love into these reviews:

From Sacramento

Kris Allen Kills No Boundaries, Replaces It With Killers Song

Kris Allen continues to surprise, somehow managing to get the American Idol tour producers to, in an unprecedented move, drop "No Boundaries" from his set and replace it with the lively "All These Things That I've Done" by the Killers.

I gotta admit that I never envisioned Kris doing the Killers, but he really picked the perfect song (YET AGAIN!) and killed it in Sacramento tonight. When he got to the "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" part, he really engaged the crowd. Hell, he engaged me at 1:50 in the morning on a small laptop via YouTube. I started singing along and clapping with my hands over my head before I realized what I was doing (and that what I was doing was totally dorky!).

Shannon praying :angel3:
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 6:54 am

Is that a press review?? Do they actually review concerts they aren't at and are watching on a laptop?? Shocked

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 7:09 am

Review: American Idols Live!

Posted by jharrington on July 12th, 2009 at 2:38 am | Categorized as Concerts, General, Music | Tagged as Adam Lambert, American Idol, American Idols Live, Kris Allen, Oracle Arena

By Jim Harrington

The “American Idols Live! Tour 2009” features nine vocalists not named Adam Lambert and one that is.

The latter is the person who matters; at least that’s what Bay Area “Idol” watchers have told me repeatedly over the last few months. Of course, some of those same people said that past winners Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard would maintain lengthy, high-profile careers in the music industry. I’ll be sure to pass those words on to Hicks and Studdard when I see them performing at some future county fair.

The thing is, however, those viewers may just be right this time around.

The one thing that was blatantly evident from watching Saturday’s “Idols” show at the Oracle Arena in Oakland _ one of three tour stops over the weekend in Northern California _ is that the 27-year-old Lambert is a bona-fide star.

No matter what a person thinks of Lambert’s overtly dramatic vocal style _ I, for one, find it more than a tad nauseating _ it’s still nearly impossible to deny his almost limitless potential. Indeed, just how the singer goes about trying to make good on all that promise should make for one of pop culture’s most fascinating storylines over the next few years.

Unfortunately, the rest of the top 10 finalists that performed on this night weren’t nearly as interesting as Lambert. That definitely included Kris Allen _ who, many have apparently forgotten by now, actually ended up besting Lambert to win the title of “American Idol” 2009. Whatever the voting public saw in this “average Joe” vocalist _ who comes across as a blander version of John Mayer, if indeed that’s even possible _ certainly didn’t translate at Oracle.

Overall, the show was a snoozer, much more boring than the 2008 version. This tour simply lacks the Vegas-style razzmatazz of earlier “Idol” treks. It was designed to be a straight-forward affair, one that shuns all the fun stuff like wild wardrobe changes, theatrical elements and thematic musical skits in favor of strictly spotlighting the vocalists’ raw talent. As it turned out, there wasn’t much worth spotlighting.

The Idols appeared in reverse order of how they finished, starting at 10th place with Michael Sarver and ending with Allen. The bottom six were pretty weak, but they did serve a purpose _ they set the bar so low that the big guns had no trouble clearing it.

The first singer to really connect with the crowd was fourth place finisher Allison Iraheta, a 17-year-old Ashlee Simpson wannabe that delivered Radio Disney-appropriate versions of such rockers as Pink’s “So What” and Heart’s “Barracuda.” She was followed by Danny Gokey, who has a nicely scratchy and soulful voice, but who also lacks any type of real presence onstage.

Next up was the man that seemingly every one in the three-quarter-full house had been waiting for: Lambert. The crowd went bonkers when the goth-rock Idol, recently featured on a cover of Rolling Stone magazine, appeared in his black leather outfit and began belting out Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love.”

He then turned his operatic voice, so ripe for the Broadway stage, on Muse’s “Starlight” and Tears for Fears’ “Mad World,” which turned out to be the two best songs of the night. The one major misstep of the set _ and the decision can’t be blamed on Lambert _ was when Iraheta was called out for an unbelievably hokey duet of Foghat’s “Slow Ride.” Yet, he recovered nicely by ending his set with a David Bowie medley.

In direct comparison, Allen’s set felt absolutely anticlimactic as he moved through folksy pop renditions of such tunes as Kanye West’s “Heartless” and the Beatles’ “Hey Jude.” The show provided no clues to what might happen with the singer’s career – it still seems equally plausible that he might become the next John Mayer or that we will never hear from him again.

Far be it from me to argue with the approximately 100 million voters who decided that Allen deserved the 2009 “Idol” crown. On this night, however, he was simply one of nine performers not named Adam Lambert.

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 12:51 pm

Wait, who won 'Idol' this year? Also-rans woo fans as tour hits Bay Area
Peter Hartlaub, Chronicle Pop Culture Critic

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The cynical music lover will argue that comparing "American Idol" lineups is like discussing the merits of different bottles of pink zinfandel.

But from a fan's perspective, Season 8 was a really good year for the juggernaut reality television show. The producers got over their addiction to intentionally bad distractions (Sanjaya!) and seemed to be honestly looking for the most talented performers. Both the fifth and third-place finishers - Matt Giraud and Danny Gokey - could have won in a lesser year.

The latest American Idols Live concert reflected the new philosophy, offering a gimmick-free showcase for the ten singers who rolled through the Oracle Arena in Oakland on Saturday night. (And then at HP Pavilion in San Jose on Sunday.)

The not-quite-sold-out crowd seemed more subdued than previous shows, with one 15-minute exception. The audience made it clear that in the Bay Area, second-place finisher Adam Lambert was the majority choice. The androgynous, Bjork-like power singer didn't disappoint, giving the most memorable performance - justifying the crowd's decision to stand for every one of his songs, while sitting through most of Season 8 winner Kris Allen's performance.

Lambert came out dressed like he should have been in a dune buggy chasing Mel Gibson across the Australian Outback, and followed Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" with a medley of David Bowie songs - complete with a fake British accent. But it was still the low-key Allen who flirted with self-parody. As he tinkled the piano to Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine," it sounded instead as if he might be trying to cover Dana Carvey's "Choppin' Broccoli." (Look that one up on YouTube, kids.)

Previous Idol traveling shows have tried too hard, relying on awkward group pairings and too-obvious attempts to wedge each singer into their stereotype (the rocker girl, the diva, the piano man ...). For this concert, the performers were simply trotted out from last to first, with each singing between two and five abbreviated covers. The night ended with a group version of "Don't Stop Believing."

Giraud was a standout in the pre-intermission set. The charismatic singer had a populist Rowlf-from-"The Muppet Show" thing going, following a rousing Black Crowes-y version of "Hard to Handle" with "Georgia on my Mind."

"I can't believe I was doing this in a hotel lobby a year and a half ago," Giraud gushed.

With a little luck, he won't be back there a year and a half from now.

Back to top Go down
AngelWings

AngelWings

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 2:16 pm

Firecracker wrote:
Is that a press review?? Do they actually review concerts they aren't at and are watching on a laptop?? Shocked

I have not a clue i found it along with a Sacramento Bee Article on KrisAllenNation. So your guess is as good as mine.

Back to top Go down
AngelWings

AngelWings

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Oh bless the heart of one person who went in search of good reviews of Kris and she copy and pasted all of them on her HAPPY KRIS thread!!

Sacramento Bee:
Season 8 winner Kris Allen wouldn't be Kris Allen if he employed the theatrics of Lambert, so it was only fitting that he demonstrated his amazing gift to sing and play both the guitar and the piano. He opened with his amazing cover of Kanye West's "Heartless," which got him rave reviews on the show. He also performed "Ain't No Sunshine." Looking back at when "Idol" fans first met Kris - in January - this young man has matured into a singer/songwriter that deserved the title.

Boston Globe:

The Lambert phenomenon is well known. Allen, this year’s winner, however, oddly came to the stage facing questions - namely, could his low-key style stand up as the headline act of an arena show? The answer is yes. Rather than try to make Allen top Lambert in volume, the production brought the audience in closer, turning the stadium into a little theater or nightclub - something the latest “Idol’’ took full advantage of in ending the show with a crowd-pleasing sing-along finale of “Hey Jude.’’

Rolling Stone:
Wrapped in a plaid shirt and a pair of jeans, Allen kept it simple and real, embracing the stripped-down soul sound that elevated him from dark horse to worthy champion. . . .
Marked by explosive bursts of noise and color, the countdown culminated in Season Eight champion Allen, who eschewed theatrics for a straightforward set of Idol favorites, from the soulful, percussive “Heartless” to his stirring piano-and-vocals interpretation of Bill Withers’ “Ain’t No Sunshine.” The somewhat maudlin Idol coronation song “No Boundaries” found a new depth and range in the band’s more rock-oriented arrangement, and Allen showed off his chops on electric guitar for Matchbox Twenty’s “Bright Lights.” Calling for a slew of cell phones and lighters, Allen finished his set with a plaintive rendition of “Hey Jude,” bringing the rest of the Idols back on stage for a chorus of “naa naas,” . . .

On Portland:
Kris Allen emerged from the floor in the center of the stage to the screams of the fans. They dropped a curtain behind him and the rest of the band (an odd move) and he held silent with his acoustic guitar in hand, for just a little too long. What followed though was one of the highlights of the entire show. Allen performed Kanye West's "Heartless" in a way that made it clear that he's made it his own. The song sounded even better live and is the corner stone of Allen's success. Kris Allen was pitch perfect with his performance of "No Boundaries", which isn't my favorite song, but Allen finds hooks in it to make it into something much more beautiful and strong than the source material. Allen's emotion and connection to the audience peaked with "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers. I think it's Allen's humble honesty in his performance that really wins the audience over. If Kris Allen came out with the ego of Matt Giraud I don't think it would work nearly as well. Kris Allenwent for the trifecta on Matchbox 20's “Bright Lights” singing, playing guitar and piano, a truly versatile performance. He closed his set with a fantastic performance of "Hey Jude", with the other 9 Idols joining him for the end of the song.

Los Angeles Times:
Kris Allen comes to the stage facing a bundle full of questions - namely, could his soft-spoken, low key style stand up as the headline act of an arena show? To all appearances, it could, handily. The show very astutely didn't try to make Kris top Adam in volume, but stripped down the production for his numbers to a minimalist, intimate feel through which his strong vocals on "Heartless" and others did manage to turn the stadium into a little theater or nightclub, a feeling his set kept coming back to until the crowd-pleasing singalong finale of "Hey Jude." In the end, one can't but feel that Kris' is the right note for the concert to end in, that of all the Idol's his likable,sweet style
delivered the feel-good close that had the departing crowds still humming with good will towards mankind.

The Seattle Times:
By the end of his set, though, Lambert's shtick felt a bit too predictable in its conscious excessiveness. And though no entertainer in their right mind would want to follow his act, the casually attired (plaid shirt, jeans) Allen did so with amazing grace.Even in a venue that might easily dwarf his more intimate musical approach, Allen rocked the hall with his passionate, "Idol"-winning take on Kanye West's "Heartless," . . . And he demonstrated a musical creativity and versatility unique among his "Idol" peers, by singing a magnetic "Ain't No Sunshine" at the piano, strapping on an electric guitar for a lively romp through Matchbox Twenty's "Bright Lights," and closing with a brilliant singalong choice: "Hey Jude."

Examiner.com:
Kris Allen came out and put it all back together again. . . . Kris Allen, winner of the American Idol title for eighth season, had the formidable task of reclaiming the show after Adam Lambert stole it. But few were surprised that his low-key entrance and smooth slide into a slightly lower register were just what the crowd needed to unwind.His
rebuild of Kanye West's "Heartless", which many believe won him the crown, kept the audience entranced. Even "No Boundaries", almost universally panned by fans and critics, worked out in context with Allen's undeniable connection to its hooks and to the crowd itself. He followed it up with his haunting signature take on Bill Withers' "Ain't
No Sunshine" and then brought the arena back to its feet with Matchbox 20's "Bright Lights," a performance strong enough to make Rob Thomas look over his shoulder. With the Beatles' "Hey Jude," a hug of a song on its own, Allen pulled it all together for the crowd, especially when he brought out the rest of the Idols to join in on the "na-na-na"
finish.

I am glad she did this cause I was getting depressed that no one was writing anything good in the reviews. Seeing all these gives me some hope not everybody hates him.

Back to top Go down
claytoncavaliers

claytoncavaliers

PostSubject: Oakland review   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 8:19 am

The cynical music lover will argue that comparing "American Idol" lineups is like discussing the merits of different bottles of pink zinfandel.

But from a fan's perspective, Season 8 was a really good year for the juggernaut reality television show. The producers got over their addiction to intentionally bad distractions (Sanjaya!) and seemed to be honestly looking for the most talented performers. Both the fifth and third-place finishers - Matt Giraud and Danny Gokey - could have won in a lesser year.

The latest American Idols Live concert reflected the new philosophy, offering a gimmick-free showcase for the ten singers who rolled through the Oracle Arena in Oakland on Saturday night. (And then at HP Pavilion in San Jose on Sunday.)

The not-quite-sold-out crowd seemed more subdued than previous shows, with one 15-minute exception. The audience made it clear that in the Bay Area, second-place finisher Adam Lambert was the majority choice. The androgynous, Bjork-like power singer didn't disappoint, giving the most memorable performance - justifying the crowd's decision to stand for every one of his songs, while sitting through most of Season 8 winner Kris Allen's performance.

Lambert came out dressed like he should have been in a dune buggy chasing Mel Gibson across the Australian Outback, and followed Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" with a medley of David Bowie songs - complete with a fake British accent. But it was still the low-key Allen who flirted with self-parody. As he tinkled the piano to Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine," it sounded instead as if he might be trying to cover Dana Carvey's "Choppin' Broccoli." (Look that one up on YouTube, kids.)

Previous Idol traveling shows have tried too hard, relying on awkward group pairings and too-obvious attempts to wedge each singer into their stereotype (the rocker girl, the diva, the piano man ...). For this concert, the performers were simply trotted out from last to first, with each singing between two and five abbreviated covers. The night ended with a group version of "Don't Stop Believing."

Giraud was a standout in the pre-intermission set. The charismatic singer had a populist Rowlf-from-"The Muppet Show" thing going, following a rousing Black Crowes-y version of "Hard to Handle" with "Georgia on my Mind."
"I can't believe I was doing this in a hotel lobby a year and a half ago," Giraud gushed.
With a little luck, he won't be back there a year and a half from now.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/12/DD7118N95Q.DTL

ETA: Sorry, FC! This is a repeat of the one you posted! I need to read more carefully! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 19110

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 pm

Lambert brings joy to 'Idol' audience
Review » Singers don't disappoint E-Center crowd.

By David Burger

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 07/14/2009 10:17:20 PM MDT

What a difference a year makes.

Last year, when the tour featuring the top 10 finalists of the 2008 season of the FOX TV juggernaut "American Idol" came to Utah, the tour date sold out so quickly that a second date was added to meet the demand. It was David Archuleta's homecoming, and Utahns treated him like a conquering hero.

This year, the E Center did not sell out, even though Sandy's Megan Joy finished in the top 10. And instead of Archuleta demonstrating why he should have bested the surprise winner David Cook last year, Joy was disappointing during her short two-song set Tuesday. The applause was warm, but it didn't overwhelm.

With Joy quickly forgotten, the show turned out to be a battle between second-place finisher Adam Lambert and winner Kris Allen, and Lambert demonstrated, for the second year in a row, that the second-place finisher should have won more of America's votes.

The concert's narrative device is a count down of the finishers, with the 10th-place finisher opening the show, and the winner closing out the show, with two group numbers bookending the final four singers. With five musicians, two back-up singers and superior production values of strobes and high-def screens, the concert looked as expensive as any you would see this year. Every singer performed better in concert than they did in the TV show, undoubtedly because of extra practice and no stern judges chomping at the bit to criticize.

With

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that being said, part of the attraction of the TV show is to root for your favorite competitor, not to mention the thrill of seeing a contestant you don't like suffer a train wreck. And, even though most wouldn't admit it, it is fun to see the judges, especially Simon Cowell, eviscerate a contestant's performance. Because these elements aren't present in the concert experience, some of the excitement is missing, making the concert seem just like glorified karaoke.

Joy sang Corinne Bailey Rae's "Let Your Hair Down" and Amy Winehouse's "Tears Dry on Their Own" in a hot pink dress with a hemline way above the knee. While she performed a passable version of Rae's laid-back gem, it was her rendition of Winehouse's barnstormer where Joy belted rather than sang, perhaps because of nerves. She did show much more confidence, and looked more comfortable, than she ever showed on the TV screen.

Two early performers who showed surprising skills were Lil Rounds and Matt Giraud, who both revved up the crowd. Rounds was soulful and sultry on Alicia Keys' "No One" and Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," while Giraud showed his fun, rollicking side with Otis Redding's "Hard to Handle" and his passionate, edgy side with an intense cover of The Fray's "I Found You." Later, Danny Gokey brought the crowd to its feet with a rousing "P.Y.T," the only reference to Michael Jackson all night.

But it was Lambert who the crowd came for, evidenced by the loudest squeals and shrieks of the nearly three-hour night, (Apparently, some women and girls didn't read, or didn't care about, the cover story in Rolling Stone where Lambert revealed that he was gay.) It was actually refreshing to see such crowd support for a gay man in Utah.

Just as on the TV show, Lambert's theatrical performances , full of strutting and hip-wiggling overshadowed Allen's laid-back vibe. With as much make-up as the women and clad in dark leather from head to foot, Lambert combined both a lusty flair for the dramatic with a multi-octave voice that Allen couldn't match. You didn't want Lambert's set to end.

And despite the widespread acknowledgment of Allen's "cuteness" and easygoing charm on songs such as "Heartless," it was the crowd's appreciation for Lambert's talent on songs such as "Whole Lotta Love," "Mad World," and a David Bowie medley that easily made him the winner of the night.
Back to top Go down
claytoncavaliers

claytoncavaliers

PostSubject: Behind the Scenes video   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 3:11 pm

Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Cute! But Lil thinks the hit of the night is "Single Ladies" Shocked

Back to top Go down
claytoncavaliers

claytoncavaliers

PostSubject: MTV Review   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Jim Cantiello at the AI Tour in LA (Review & Video):

http://www.rickey.org/?p=19937

FC, Lil's just dreamin'!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
claytoncavaliers

claytoncavaliers

PostSubject: MJs blog tour review   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 pm

http://mjsbigblog.com/kathys-los-angeles-american-idol-tour-re-cap.htm

My favorite part:

The intro to “Whole Lot Of Love.” started, and there he was. He was looking mighty fierce, in his awesome jacket. There was no question what the song’s meaning was, especially when he stradled the mike stand, stroking it while singing,”I’m going to give you every inch of my love.” I thought the Mom’s were going to die, but they were so into it, they forgot about their 10 year old daughters watching this erotic display of talent. Good got it got steamy. affraid affraid affraid

:adam: :lovepant: :lovepant: :lovepant:

And here's her previous blog: http://mjsbigblog.com/los-angeles-idol-tour-news-roundup.htm
The media was out in full force at the LA show, so MJs blog has lots of links to lots of reviews and interviews!! :confetti:

ETA: Don't you dare miss Yahoo's Lindsey Parker's review listed in the above link! It's FANTASTIC!! loljumping
Back to top Go down
dancingdigits

dancingdigits

Number of posts : 743
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 1:20 pm

San Diego review:

Review: Adam Lambert shines in San Diego ‘Idols’ concert

"American Idol" runner-up is the major attraction at San Diego Sports Arena concert

By Valerie Scher, SDNNSunday, July 19, 2009 IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! Comments20 comments | read comments | post a comment

tweetmeme_url = 'http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-07-19/things-to-do/review-adam-lambert-shines-in-san-diego-idols-concert';tweetmeme_source = 'SDNewsNetwork';

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! Lambert

Adam Lambert returned to San Diego for a concert. (Courtesy photo)

The “American Idols Live Tour” that rolled into San Diego on Saturday was never livelier or more satisfying than when Adam Lambert was onstage at the San Diego Sports Arena.
Looking like a glam-rock prince and wearing enough guyliner for an entire band, Lambert strutted, gyrated, shimmied and sang, giving his multiple-octave all to songs ranging from “Whole Lotta Love” to “Mad World.” The “American Idol” runner-up radiated his own special charisma, his own mystique.
So never mind that the concert featured Season 8’s top 10 contestants, including winner Kris Allen. For thousands of Lambert fans, known as Glamberts, it might as well have been called “The Adam Lambert Show,” with everyone who came before him almost seeming like participants in a long and varied warm-up act.
After all, this was the triumphant return of San Diego’s hometown musical hero, the 27-year-old performer who graduated from Mt. Carmel High School, developed his skills at area theater groups and inspired San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders to declare May 8 “Adam Lambert Day.”

That may have been his day. But Saturday was his night. Though it was only coincidental that the concert occurred during the San Diego LGBT Pride festival, the timing made Lambert seem like the star of his own pride fest.

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! Sdnn-opinion33In San Diego, the 10th stop in the 51-city North American tour, Lambert was the major lure. The concert filled about 75% of the approximately 9,500 available seats, according to the box office. And fans were determined to enjoy themselves.
They bought such merchandise as Adam Lambert photos ($5) and tee-shirts ($35). They screamed when his face appeared on the screens near the stage and shrieked much louder when he performed. One woman in the audience held up a pink, hand-lettered sign that said: “Even moms love Adam!”
Many of the concert-goers were significantly younger.
“It’s my first big concert and I’m a huge Adam Lambert fan,” said Neda Heydari, 14, of San Carlos. “He can sing like nobody else.”
No less enthusiastic was Jamie Dietrich, 17, of Santee, who wrote the word “Adam” in black eyeliner near her neck and carried a sign saying “Adam - You are Wicked,’ a tribute to Lambert’s musical theater background.
“Adam is a new voice - he’s much more theatrical,” she said. “And he brings back glam rock. He’s amazing.”
In the minority in the Land of Lambert was Danny Gokey fan Nanjoo Baik, 21, a university student from Seoul, South Korea. She made her first trip to the U.S. to attend the “Idol” shows in Los Angeles, Ontario and San Diego.
“It’s a little weird to be here with so many Adam Lambert fans,” she acknowledged. “But I love ‘American Idol’ and Danny inspired me to come here.”
Gokey’s sincerity was his greatest strength as a performer. He knew how to connect with the audience, as when he gave advice (”never let your dreams die!”) and poured his passion into the Rascal Flatts ballad, “My Wish.”
All the contestants - including Michael Sarver, Megan Joy, Scott MacIntyre, Lil Rounds and Anoop Desai - were undeniably talented though it’s unlikely that all will achieve lasting success, given the fickle nature of pop music.
Matt Giraud talked about how he used to play the Ray Charles classic, “Georgia on My Mind,” in a hotel lobby for “anyone who would walk by.” On Saturday, he found considerably more receptive listeners for his confidently bluesy interpretation.
By contrast, Allison Iraheta favored a high-decibel, hard-rocking, Janis Joplin-ish approach that was so ear-piercingly loud that - forgive me, Iraheta fans — I stuffed tissue in my ears. Several people sitting near me saw me do it - and requested tissue so they could do the same thing.
Yet she was energetically effective in “Slow Ride,” her duet with Lambert. And nobody tossed women’s underwear on stage during the song, as at the Vancouver concert earlier this month.
When it was finally Kris Allen’s turn, it all seemed a little anti-climactic, at least to this concert-goer. Coming after Lambert’s high-intensity set, Allen was likeable but a bit bland, even in the climactic audience sing-along, “Hey Jude,” which included the other singers and capable backup band. Unmistakably gifted (and really cute), Allen has a cuddly, non-threatening stage persona that makes him the latest in a long line of cuddly, non-threatening pop singers who are especially popular with young girls.
Lambert, on the other hand, is edgier and more artistically daring. Let’s hope future concerts do a better job of highlighting his vocal range and interpretive sensitivity. On Saturday, the sound system was sometimes about as subtle as a sledgehammer.
Still, it was very gratifying to hear Lambert live. His voice was remarkably supple; his sense of rhythm, unfailingly accurate.
He turned the David Bowie song “Let’s Dance” into an irresistible invitation. Muse’s “Starlight” sparkled with the help of swirling light patterns. And “Mad World” was so beautifully paced that the final high note seemed to rocket out of this world.
“I love you, San Diego,” Lambert said.
This San Diego audience loved him, too.
Valerie Scher is the SDNN Arts & Entertainment editor. You can reach her at valerie.scher(at)sdnn.com

Read more: http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-07-19/things-to-do/review-adam-lambert-shines-in-san-diego-idols-concert#ixzz0LjbzCze5
Back to top Go down
dancingdigits

dancingdigits

Number of posts : 743
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Another San Diego review from North County Times:

CONCERT REVIEW: Turbo-charged Lambert steals 'Idol' tour stop in San Diego hometown

By PAM KRAGEN - pkragen@nctimes.com | Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:11 AM PDT

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! Z9f5d6b46b567e3ec882575f700086506 The top 10 "American Idol" finalists top row, from left, Adam Lambert, Kris Allen, Anoop Desai, Michael Sarver; second row, Lil Rounds, Matt Giraud, Danny Gokey; seated, Scott MacIntyre and Allison Iraheta; bottom Megan Joy.

SAN DIEGO ---- Local concert-goers rolled out the welcome mat Saturday night for hometown idol Adam Lambert, who so dominated the American Idols Live Tour concert at the San Diego Sports Arena, the rest of the singers felt like an appetizer and dessert.

The top 10 finalists from the Fox television show's eighth season each have their moment in the spotlight during the well-produced, three-hour show, but it was clear that Lambert ---- who spent 17 of his first 18 years in Rancho Penasquitos ---- was the anointed crowd darling.

A concession stand worker said Lambert T-shirts and photos have been outselling those of season winner Kris Allen by a wide margin at every tour stop; ticket-holders (from grade-schoolers to grannies to gay) arrived in droves withLambert signs, photo collages and homemade T-shirts; and Lambert's every appearance on the wall of video screens behind the stage (in photos and Ford commercials) elicited loud squeals of delight.

And once the long-anticipated Lambert finally stepped onstage during the concert's final half-hour, the near-capacity crowd's deafening, on-their-feet response left no doubt that his future as a pop/rock superstar is secure. Swagger, sex appeal and stratospheric range are what his former San Diegan is selling, and it's a seller's market.

Lambert's five-song set includes three numbers recycled from "AI," including a soaring version of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" (his pelvic thrusts and suggestive mike-stand straddling seemed of special appeal to women in the crowd), a playful "Slow Ride" duet with tour sparkplug Allison Iraheta, and his hit single "Mad World," which he changed up a bit with a whispery delivery.

The set highlight is Muse's "Starlight," a galactic high note-filled song that showcases the power, control and range of his voice. Lambert sheds his coat (a blue leather number with tails and shoulder spikes) to close his set with an upbeat medley of David Bowie songs designed to highlight his dance and dramatic skills he honed over the past decade as a musical theater actor.

By the time he descended into the stage with a final shout of "I love you, San Diego!" Lambert had proved he's the total package ---- voice, charisma, confidence, star power and good looks (a striking mix of broad-shouldered masculinity and almost feminine beauty enhanced by his trademark guyliner and shimmery electric blue eyeshadow).

So what of Allen, who bested Lambert in the show's voting this season? He has the unfortunate job of following Lambert to close the show with a lower-wattage set that put most of the audience back in their seats. Critics at previous tour stops have harshly criticized Allen, but that's unfair. He's charming, cute, earnest, multi-instrumental and accessible. But both his vocal range and his stage presence are modest, so he doesn't ignite the crowd with the same fire.

Allen wisely dropped the "AI" coronation song "No Boundaries" from his set list last week (the mediocre number strained his voice to its limits) and replaced it with the Killers' "All These Things I've Done," the only number in his five-song set where he moved freely about the stage. The set highlights were a soulful "Ain't No Sunshine" delivered from the piano bench, and his acoustic guitar version of Kanye West's "Heartless."

The other singers on the tour acquitted themselves with varying degrees of quality, and in near exact order of how they finished in the voting this season. Here's a quick recap of their sets:

-- Danny Gokey: The spiritual third-place finisher's set-opener "P.Y.T." doesn't inspire, but his Latin "Maria, Maria" accompanied by some accomplished salsa dance moves, was fun. Gokey's raspy soul voice sounded great in the opening numbers but the effort made some of the notes in his two-song Rascal Flatts set fall flat. He delivers a mini-sermon on reaching for you dreams near the end that comes off sincerely, having been inspired by the death of his wife one year ago this month.

-- Allison Iraheta: This little fireball will go far. The petite, flame-haired spitfire stomps around the stage in a rocking, bluesy set of Janis Joplin, Pink and Heart and has acres of vocal heft to spare.

-- Matt Giraud: The first-act closer is also the first act's best performer. He's got masterful stage presence, lightning-fast piano skills and confidence that serve him well, especially in "Hard to Handle."

-- Anoop Desai: The North Carolina R&B singer seems to have put as much effort into his sweet singing voice (his highlight is Ne-Yo's "Mad") as his dance moves, which seem ripped from the MTV video archive. The girls love him, in spite of his costume, which included oversized glasses, preppy clothes and dangling suspenders that reminded me of an Indian version of Steve Urkel.

-- Lil Rounds: Despite some flat notes and a "Single Ladies" closer that failed to get the audience moving, she's got class and diva stage style and does especially well with Mary J. Blige's "Be Without You."

-- Scott MacIntyre: Rising from the stage seated at a piano, the visually impaired finalist has a pleasant singing voice and seems at ease onstage. His highlight is Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles." He even does some nice synchronized choreography and a really good Billy Joel piano duet with Giraud.

-- Megan Joy: The Salt Lake City looker is a beauty and she's developing as a stage performer and singer. Her stage presence is still a bit stiff and awkward. Hard to tell if it is nerves, inexperience or the six-inch platforms she's toddling around on.

-- Michael Sarver: Call him the tour cheerleader. He gets the crowd going with a rousing performance of Gavin DeGraw's "I Just Want a Girl." It's not an enviable slot on the show's lineup but Sarver has confidence and likability.
Back to top Go down
AngelWings

AngelWings

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Here is the Kris part of a review. This woman is a total Adam lover and has never really been into Kris so what she posted here is awesome: She posted this from when she saw the LA show!

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityro...-concertreview/

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! Wub

OK, moving on. I will admit that after The Glambert's over-the-top tour de force, I had my doubts that Kris Allen would be able to keep up the momentum. I admit that I believed Adam seemed more like "headliner" material. But you know what? While Kris's vibe was definitely different, mellower and much more stripped-down, he totally delivered. Probably the contestant who exhibited the most growth this season--transitioning from under-the-radar "dark horse" to Idol champ--last night he really arrived, as much a pro as theater veteran Adam or any other Idol winner. For instance, it was a risk for Kris to start his set a cappella with the first low-key first verse of his Kanye West cover "Heartless," especially after Adam's cranked-to-11 performance. But he had the confidence and charisma to pull it off. This was followed by a welcome new song on his setlist, the crowd-rousing and evangelical Killers cut "All These Things That I've Done," which thankfully replaced his snoozy coronation song "No Boundaries" (a tune that it seems even Kris secretly, or perhaps not-so-secretly, loathes). Kris did a kick-awesome job with the semi-foppish Killers tune, and by including it in his set, he injected his own version of "glam" into his repertoire, in his own dude-next-door way. Kris also excelled on piano, with his star-making watershed song "Ain't No Sunshine" and Matchbox Twenty's "Bright Lights," the latter of which ended with a shredding guitar solo that brought to mind John Mayer at his best. By the time Kris crooned the Beatles' "Hey Jude," and was joined by his fellow Idols for the "na na na"s, the Staples Center was incandescently illuminated with spectators' cellphones and glowsticks. It was the performance of a champion, indeed.

Back to top Go down
claytoncavaliers

claytoncavaliers

PostSubject: Glendale AZ recap   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Back to top Go down
claytoncavaliers

claytoncavaliers

PostSubject: At the buses in LA   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 3:23 pm

The video with this article is so funny!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1616598/20090720/index.jhtml
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!   IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS! Empty

Back to top Go down

IDOL 8 PRESS CONCERT REVIEWS!
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next