Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Live Music Adventures

Go down 
+9
dancingdigits
AngelWings
canear
teddyhugz
aerwin
janice
Firecracker
Sky
horselaydee
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
horselaydee

horselaydee

Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Live Music Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 11:53 am

Well, went to see Steve Winwood and Tom Petty at the Gorge in eastern Washington last night in the 103 degree heat. Shocked Luckily the show started at 8:00 and it got down to 90 by then....

I think there were more people at this show than at the Police/Elvis Costello show I went to a month or so ago. It was packed! That means probably more than 15,000 people!

We arrived after Steve Winwood had done a few songs, but he sounded great and in very good voice. I have always thought he had one of the most unique male voices in rock. That was cool. Could not see any faces or anything...no amazing big screen like at the Police and we had lawn general admission seats, and wanted to sit high up for the view and to escape the mass exodus when it was over, plus it was so crowded with people we had to just find a place whereever we could. Steve and his band played for about an hour from what I could estimate. They played a lot of their old stuff...Dear Mr. Fantasy, Freedom Rider, etc. Low Spark of High Heeled Boys etc. and a few new tunes in the beginning that I missed when we arrived. I was pleasantly surprized by him, since I wondered how his voice had stood the test of time.

So about an hour later, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers arrive on stage and mass hysteria ensues. Unfortunately, I had made the stupid mistake of deciding to make a bathroom run since it was taking a long time for the roadies to get the equipment resituated. We were'nt sitting far from the bathrooms, but once everyone got on their feet and the lights went down, It took me about 4-5 songs to find my husband again and I was starting to freak. Speaking of freak...the smell of pot, cigarrettes, and cigars was so strong I could not believe it, but after all-it was a Tom Petty Concert.

Don't know if Tom is one of those older performers whose voice needs to warm up for a while, but the first few songs were a tad lacking in the vocal department...now granted Tom Petty is not known for the greatest voice anyway, his music is all about his guitar playing and songwriting. Also, the sound equipment was nowhere close to what the Police had and they had it cranked up to an almost painful level which was unfortunate.

As time went on, and they invited Steve Winwood back on stage to do a few tunes, one which was the old Blind Faith tune Can't Find My Way Home, I was happy again and that made the concert worth going to right there.

After getting some of his rowdier tunes out of the way, Won't Back Down etc. and after Steve left the stage again, he went into It's Allright by the Travelling Willburys and that sounded good, then did a really nice arrangement of Break Down with mandatory audience singalong, and another really great arrangement (unplugged of Learning to Fly). Those were the highlights for me. There were lots of great tunes he did'nt play, but lots that he did.

We left for the encore to beat the crowd and were glad we did. I give it a B- overall because of the sound quality being not as great as I expected, but it was fun to be able to drive for an 1 hour and see some old time greats perform at a beautiful venue.

However, we definitely prefer smaller venues and now that I we have experienced the Gorge Amphitheater experience twice this year, we will return to our preferred music venues of medium, intimate club settings that showcase National Recording Artists.

HL out!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 19110

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 12:29 pm

I'm glad you got to go, but whew, it must have been warm! I would have freaked out to trying to find my way back after the bathroom run! I've never been to the Gorge for a concert. My hubby doesn't do 'concerts'.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Yes, it was very warm...but the sun was almost down and that helped! All the warm bodies at the same place ! Whew! It cools down in this part of the country ( as you know!) at night... When we got home it was in the mid 70's.

Here is a clip from another show of Steve performing Can't Find My Way Home that was similar to what they did last night...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Z-Yz5gbjM
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82373

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 6:14 pm

Oh GOODNESS!!! If I got out of the restroom and couldn't find my hubby in the crowd I would have freaked the hell out! affraid Other than that and the heat it sounds like a great time! I think the views from that place are worth the price of the tickets! I would love to have some place like that to see a show. We used to go to an outdoor theater for great concerts and you guess it - in the middle of cornfields! Not quite the same as the mountains eh?

We prefer the smaller venues too. It's exciting hearing the roar of the crowd go up for your fave performers etc. But I think the overall experience is nicer in the medium to small venues.

Sky, my hubby will take me to concerts if I really want to go, but he would rather not if it is a rock band. He really enjoys Clay concerts, especially the Christmas ones since he loves Christmas music, but he really doesn't like crowded loud places and the frenzy to get out of the parking garages etc. So I feel your pain about a hubby who would rather not do concerts No

Live Music Adventures 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:02 pm

We really don't go very often either. I just had to see my man Elvis and the Police show and wanted my hubby to see a show at the Gorge since he had'nt yet, and I had seen Steely Dan there a few years back and really enjoyed it.

Like both your hubby's...I am not a fan of the huge shows either. The Police/Elvis show was the best concert I have ever
seen though...15, 000 people and all! cheers
Back to top Go down
janice

Number of posts : 299

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 2:55 pm

HL, I enjoyed your write-up about the concert and the venue. The part about the smell of pot reminded me of an indoor concert I went to a long time ago. While I was sitting in one of the side sections, I noticed a very odd, sweet scent. I thought it might be some kind of chemical leak but as I looked around, no one else seemed one bit concerned. I had no idea what it was, but I started getting a headache. The scent just kept getting stronger as did my headache and by the end of the concert, my head felt like it was going to explode. I asked my husband if he noticed the odor and if he did, what was it. Marijuana!! I had that headache until the middle of the next afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Oh no Janice! That is too bad that your concert was ruined by a headache :( I've smelled a lot of pot at a lot of concerts in the 70s. When I saw the Stones there was so much drugs going around people were dropping like flies from being so stoned/high. I remember thinking - man I would be so pissed if I paid all this money to Mick and I passed out and missed him! Razz

Live Music Adventures 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Thanks for your comment Janice! Yes, like FC I was a wild child in my teens and 20's and have seen and done a lot of partying.

I was over it by my early twenties...but boy the smell of the pot brought back memories, and not good ones either! Shocked
I hate the smell of pot almost as much as the smell of cigars and cigarettes!

Don't know if it is just around here, but cigars are extremely popular for some reason! I think your hubby likes them does'nt he FC?
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 3:45 pm

On no - not anymore. When he a Sergent in the Air Force he smoked cigars. I did not know him then. But he quite smoking all together before I started dating him. Good thing because if he did smoke cigars there never would have been a second date!!

I had an uncle who smoked cigars all his life. Typical old timer all dressed up in a suit and Fedora and the ever present cigar. His whole house and everything my cousins wore REEKED with cigar smoke. I could not live with that let me tell ya.

Yes, the smell of pot brings back a whole other life. I was not always the good little conservative soccer mom Wink Though, I wasn't all that bad Laughing

Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

Number of posts : 1200

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Guess where I am going Mon Nov. 24???!! MADONNA, MADONNA, MADONNA!! One of the vendors for my hubby's company gave him tix. Not Only that we get to sit in the luxury box seats!!!
I really wanted to go but the tix are very expensive up to 350 so I did not even mention it. But Now we are going FREE!!!
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 4:49 pm

That is sooooo awesome Aerwin! I cannot wait to read your recap on Tuesday the 25th!

Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 5:15 pm

My son and DIL just got back from the Madonna concert in Vegas. They said it was awesome!!! She was on stage for 2 hours straight, no intermission. You will have the best time. Lucky you!
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 5:16 pm

How exciting Aerwin! She puts on quite a show! Plus you can see what sleeping in plastic and major plastic surgery looks like.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 4:48 am

Good Lord the fact that she stays on stage for two hours straight she gets me admiration. That takes stamina.You can't get that with plastic surgery. Or if you can I want it.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 am

She is an incredble performer no doubt, her voice isn't that strong, but that was never her main attraction anyway.

Being classically trained as a dancer has served her well over the years, no doubt. She is still like an elite athelete with her intense yoga and excercise regime. I love her choreography and styling, and most of her music from the early days. Her new stuff does'nt do that much for me, but I did like the western influenced album she put out a few years ago and her middle east inspired stuff.

The thing that has always inpressed me about Madonna is her artistic vision and her theatrical performance style. I bet she will do a great show. The real woman herself is a narcissist from what i can gather, and I can't say I would like her if I had to be in the same room with her for more than 5 minutes. Although, she is one fascinating lady.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 8:25 am

I am not a fan at all. I know she puts on an elaborate show though. I like some of her music. I have a greatest hits CD that is fun. I do not like her as a person though, especially a lot of the things I have read lately. But it you like shows with lots of bells and whistles it will be pretty spectacular - lots of lights and dancing etc.

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 6:35 pm

On a much smaller scale than Madonna, I will be going to see a blues artist by the name of Chris Thomas King at a small, intimate venue in my town on Saturday. He is a grammy winning singer/songwriter who also is an actor. He played in the Coen Brother's "O Brother Where Art Thou" as Tommy Johnson, the talented blues musician and performed Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" and appears as one of the Soggy Bottom Boys when they record "Man of Constant Sorrow" in the film. He also appeared in "Ray" as Lowell Fulson.

I am psyched! I have not listenned to his album yet, but have a feeling I will be buying it.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 8:18 pm

I never heard of him - but sounds like a great time!

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 12:52 pm

I went to the Chris Thomas King show last night and what a treat that was! The show sold out which was great for this venue which probably had about 500 seats. It is a beautiful old church amphitheater that has been restored and the acoustics are wonderful.

If there are any old blues fans out there or fans of the music from "O brother Where art thou" you would have loved this show.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone perform solo that was quite this talented. He is a singer, songwriter, guitarist, pianist, actor, film score creator, has his own independant record label and comes from a strong Louisianna old blues background. His voice is beautifully rich and soulful, and gets you right in the heart. I have not heard many people sing that could inspire me like he did. He was solo with his 2 guitars, baby grand, harmonica, and amplifier and sound equipment.

I felt so priviledged to experience this amazing performance that started with covering some of his material from his 15 albums...yes he has had a prolific music career that has spanned success in Europe and the US. He has experimented in rock, jazz, blues, etc.

Anyway, he talked about his roots, his movie career, playing with Ray Charles and some other blues greats.

I highly recommend his roots album which is a compilation..but here is a taste of what I saw. Unfortunately there is not a big choice of his stuff that can be downloaded from Youtube, but here is a sample of what I experienced-minus the rude as hell audience in this vid-there was a wonderfully respectful and supportive audience last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I37jvI_iL1o
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 2:09 pm

He sounds really good! So glad you had a great time!

Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 6:47 am

WE Went to Madonna last night. AND OH MY LORD!! That woman ion the stage for two straight hours and never stops moving and singing. She is such a great dancer. All of her back up dancers are beyond excellent. They themselves are worth the price of admission.The special effects are unreal. We just had a great time. First of all we got to park in a special place and get off the elevator we were right there. We watched from a luxury suite with drinks and snacks. My hubby had to some business but the whole thing was free! I have always been a secret Madonna fan . We usually just go to rock concerts without all the extras so this was some great show. All I know is I am a wimp compared to that woman. SHE IS 50! I have still been trying to get arms like that. I just have to work out MORE!!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 6:53 am

So glad you had such a great time! I've heard her shows were energy packed. Her arms have been the topic of discussion in many places. I would love to have youthful looking arms, but I wouldn't want mine to look like hers do. The pictures I've seen aren't flattering. It could be the angle they took the picture from, or maybe because she looks too thin, but I don't like them.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 6:55 am

So glad you had an awesome time!!

(FWIW, I hope you do not get your arms like hers No Scary arms - I bet yours look much better!)

Back to top Go down
aerwin

aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 6:57 am

She looks great. She is very tiny. her face is very pretty too. I guess she had plastic surgery but you really can't tell it. I lift weights three times a week and I still don't look like that. My sister said she heard she works out 4 hours a day.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 7:16 am

Yes, that is what I read too! Which just seems a wee bit obsessive to me. But she must enjoy it.

For my taste her arms are too thin, muscular and veiny (like Angelina's) I personally do not find that attractive at all. But everybody has their own ideas of what looks good. I guess I just prefer woman to look a bit more feminine than that. But I am sure she is quite healthy and in great shape. I wouldn't think someone who is putting on a two hour dance show every night would still need 4 hours in the gym! Razz

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live Music Adventures   Live Music Adventures Empty

Back to top Go down

Live Music Adventures
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next