Lady Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Friends

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Favourite (or favorite) Movies

Go down 
+3
Badger
Sky
Adrift
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Adrift

Adrift

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 1:44 pm

Sky wrote:
Quote :
One film I have watched sooooooooooo many times is "Love Actually" it's a smiley film, but still has me crying in parts Embarassed (& if you have seen it.....the look on Liam Neesons face when carrying his wife's coffin breaks my heart!!)

Adrift.......I watched this movie tonight.........and yes, it is a great movie! I absolutely loved it!!! Thank you for telling us about it.

Really glad you liked the film Sky :D - I've lost count of the times I watch it (I have the DVD obviously ..hehe)....I even make sure I watch it when it comes on TV lol!

Badger - I must keep an eye out for the movie of The Winslow Boy - I remember we studied the play in English Lit at school (only a few years ago *COUGH*)
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 7:50 am

I love when that happens too, firecracker! I mean, talk about your coincidences. Another movie I mentioned recently, "The Secret of Roan Inish" was also on last week and I was able to DVR that one too.

There's also a 1948 version of "The Winslow Boy". I'd love to see it although I'm guessing it might be hard to find.
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 4:36 pm

OOOOOOOOOO....that reminds me!! (1948..that is) A not to be missed film from 1948 is "Spring in Park Lane"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040830/

Long story, but I was chatting to my Mum about 3 years ago…& she had just been to see a play called “The Best of Friends” which is based on actual letters and visits exchanged between three friends: enclosed nun Dame Laurentia McLachlan, the playwright George Bernard Shaw and Sir Sydney Cockerill.Mum went onto say that she enjoyed the play but George Bernard Shaw was a lot taller than the actor who played him.After my initial nodding in agreement (as you do when you have nooooooo idea)…I looked at her & asked how she knew how tall he was – turns out he lived in a house very close to where Mum was a child…& Mum & her elder sister used to walk past his house often! Sometimes he would call hello to them & wave…other times he would be grumpy & tell them to “Bugger Orf” – or words to that effect!
Thing was – I had no idea about that, even though I studied a few of his play at school, she hadn’t mentioned anything about living near him.She started to describe the things she remembered from then & mentioned a few parties he had etc….then went on to tell me about the actor Robert Newton (probably most famous for being Long John Silver) & how he used to “enjoy” a drink but very down to earth (something about riding his bike to the studio each day…but never in a straight line Wink )
Of course…my reply was “What Studio?????”
Well, it turns out, when she was about 18 she worked in the offices of a factory opposite a UK film studio & often saw the “stars” of the day going in & out
http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/568099/

Occasionally the film studio would need “extras” for crowd scenes & would come over to the factory & yes…you have probably guessed it….my mum is an extra in Spring in Park Lane :D

Well I went home & did a search & managed to get a copy of it on VHS for her birthday…then made her sit & watch it until her 2 seconds of fame in a dance scene (actually it was more like 30 seconds!!) She had me in hysterics with her commentary about her friend next to her saying “Hope we get back in time for tea break” & Mum saying “Well at least we get 10 shillings for this!!” & the guy next to her saying “Gawd..I’m dying for a fag” (umm…that’ll be a cigarette btw!!) all having to do little clapping & dancing actions with a huge fixed big grin on their face!!Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 ClappingFavourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 Thdancing
I have since managed to get a copy on DVD too…I want to get that scene on my PC.

I just can’t believe that I knew nothing about it until recently!!
Anyway…enough of my bragging about my Mum..but if it comes on TV over there…record it…let me know…& I’ll let you know at which point she appears Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 3152
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

Number of posts : 2475

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 7:05 pm

Adrift wrote:
Quote :
Well I went home & did a search & managed to get a copy of it on VHS for her birthday…then made her sit & watch it until her 2 seconds of fame in a dance scene (actually it was more like 30 seconds!!) She had me in hysterics with her commentary about her friend next to her saying “Hope we get back in time for tea break” & Mum saying “Well at least we get 10 shillings for this!!” & the guy next to her saying “Gawd..I’m dying for a fag” (umm…that’ll be a cigarette btw!!) all having to do little clapping & dancing actions with a huge fixed big grin on their face!!
Wow! It sounds like your Mum has led a really interesting life and has a marvelous sense of humor!

I can totally picture the two of you sitting there watching the film as she gave her commentary on her insider information! Just priceless!
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

Number of posts : 82194

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 9:10 pm

That's a great story Adrift! How cool for you both!

I totally knew what "fag" meant! :D

Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 11:19 pm

I knew what it meant too. I know a "fagot" is a bundle of sticks so I wonder how the shortened term "fag" came to be a derogatory term for a gay man.

That's a cool story about your mother, Adrift. Was she in any other movies?

Getting back to movies, does anyone here remember "The Little Kidnappers"? It was about this old Scots man living in Nova Scotia with his daughter and two little grandsons (they were the children of his son who had been killed in the Boer War). Anyway, the little boys want a puppy but the old man won't let them have one. They end up finding an abandoned baby girl and they take her home and keep her in a shed so no one will know they have her. I remember they kept calling her "their babbee". It's a really cute movie and in fact, the two actors who played the little boys got special Academy Awards for it. I don't think it's available on DVD yet. There was a TV remake of it starring Charlton Heston but it wasn't nearly as good as the original.
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Mum did play an extra in some other films too..but she seems to think the scenes were cut.She specifically remembered that one because her & her friend that appeared in it went to the cinema together to see it & got really excited when they saw themselves on the screen :)

Away from that...another film I loved was The Color Purple
Spread over so many years & heart wrenching stuff!
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Oh! I love The Color Purple too! I used to be a huge Oprah fan so I had to see that one. Plus I always liked Whoopi a lot too. Very sad and upsetting film, but very well done!

Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 1624476336773?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=XhPLl1Xb1bv-FdVhcbTpb_-IOxwd10xmnDqrmc1RoSY
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 5:27 pm

Hehehe I LOVE Whoopi....she really shone in The Color Purple though...with being understated...as opposed to Sister Act/Sister Act 2 & Ghost (plus a few more I could mention!)
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 2:56 am

Fantasia's supposed to be starring in the musical version of the movie.

Another one of my favorite movies is The Seven Little Foys. There's actually several different versions including a television version that starred The Osmond Brothers (Donny was about 7 years old) but the one I'm talking about is the 1955 movie that starred Bob Hope.

It's about Eddie Foy who was a famous vaudeville comedian. His wife dies when he is on tour and leaves him with 7 young children so he decides to make them part of his act. The only problem is that they're all terrible. But of course, audiences love them and they become a huge hit.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 7:00 am

I will be skipping the musical version. I would rather have more gum surgery than sit through Fanty's screeching ad Boboing her way through a whole movie! I can barely get through one song on AI Razz

Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 19110

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 9:41 am

LOL! I won't be watching anything with Fanty in it singing or otherwise, either.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 11:06 am

Has anyone here ever seen "Freaks"? It's famous mainly because it used actual famous "circus freaks" of the time although of course today we'd call them "people with physical challenges". It's about a beautiful trapeze artist who marries a little person for his money and then tries to poison him so she can be with her actual lover, the circus strongman and how the other "freaks" exact their strange and terrible revenge.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 11:09 am

EEK! No I haven't seen that one! Circus clowns scare me enough let alone midgets being murdered!! affraid Razz

Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 19110

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 11:10 am

While not anywhere close to being a favorite movie........we watched Ironman last night. It was better and different than I thought it would be.
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing that one simply because I have always loved RDJ!

Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 12:33 pm

I like Robert Downey Jnr too - I loved his portrayal of Charlie Chaplin.
LOL - & I thought the actor they used in Elton John's video "I want Love" looked soooo much like him (only to find out it was him hehehe !) Brilliant casting for such a sad song! Oh it could so be my theme song Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_u6l7EsQMc
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Oh! Thanks for that Adrift! I really enjoyed that!

Yes, he was awesome in Charlie Chaplin! I so wanted him to win the Oscar for that role!

Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 1:08 pm

I really like RDJ too. Must say though I think it is kind of strange to cast him to lip sync (rather badly) that entire song. I think the vid would have been so much more effective with having him act out the song and not try to lip sync it. Just my humble opinion. I so want that mansion they shot it in! Talk about gorgeous!

Badger, who are the actors in the Freaks movie...that kind of intrigues me.
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 1:26 pm

Glad you liked it FC :D

HL - according to IMDB

Starred in Elton John's music video for the song "I Want Love." Downey was let out of rehab for one day in late July specifically to shoot the video (which was filmed in one long continuous take at Greystone Manor in Beverley Hills.) It was Downey's first work since being fired from the TV show "Ally McBeal" (1997) in April 2001.

Soooo looks like you need to put in a bid for Greystone Manor Laughing

Also had a look for the film Freaks....I assume it's the one made in 1932.Looks like it's along the lines of Elephant Man (which was obviously made years later :) ) I think it's the type of film that would make me angry.
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Quote :
Starred in Elton John's music video for the song "I Want Love." Downey was let out of rehab for one day in late July specifically to shoot the video (which was filmed in one long continuous take at Greystone Manor in Beverley Hills.) It was Downey's first work since being fired from the TV show "Ally McBeal" (1997) in April 2001.

Soooo looks like you need to put in a bid for Greystone Manor
Shocked Well, that explains a few things... He sure looks good though considering. I am so glad he got it together before he killed himself. I wonder what Greystone manner is being used for these days...

I can't bear to watch Elephant Man again either...very upsetting flick. If freaks is like that, I can't go there.
Back to top Go down
Adrift

Adrift

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Well being a Google addict Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 3152 this should tell you all about Greystone Manor

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Live/Greystone.shtml

As for Freaks being like Elephant man...only Badger can answer that as I haven't seen Freaks...it was just the write up made me think of Elephant man
Back to top Go down
horselaydee

horselaydee

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks Adrift! It is kind of a shame Greystone is is not being used to it's full potential.
Quote :
In September of 2008, Presidential candidate Barack Obama held a $28,500-per-plate fundraiser at the Beverly Hills mansion, which drew the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Steven Spielberg, Tobey Maguire, Jodie Foster, Eddie Murphy, Barbara Mandel, Antonio Banderas, Will Ferrell and Jamie Lee Curtis.
Wow...that must have been quite a party! No wonder he could afford prime time TV ads the last week of the campaign!
Back to top Go down
Firecracker
Admin
Firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Yep. His "star" friends paved the way!

Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Adrift, Freaks was banned in The United Kingdom for many years. Until around 1962, in fact.

Wikipedia entry

Quote :
The central story is of a self-serving trapeze artist named Cleopatra (Olga Baclanova) who seduces and eventually marries a sideshow midget, Hans (Harry Earles), after learning of his large inheritance.

At their wedding reception, the other "freaks" resolve that they will accept Cleopatra in spite of her being a "normal" outsider, and hold an initiation ceremony, wherein they pass a massive goblet of wine around the table while chanting, "We accept her! We accept her! One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble! One of us! One of us!" The ceremony frightens the drunken Cleopatra, who accidentally reveals that she has been having an affair with Hercules (Henry Victor), the strong man; she mocks the freaks, tosses the wine in their faces and drives them away. Despite being humiliated, Hans remains with Cleopatra.
Shortly thereafter, Hans is taken ill (presumably from having too much to drink at the wedding feast, but actually from poison that Cleopatra slipped him) and Cleopatra begins slipping poison into Hans' medicine to kill him so that she can inherit his money and run away with Hercules. One of the circus performers overhears Cleopatra talking to Hercules about the murder plot, and tells the other freaks and Hans; in the film's climax, the freaks attack Cleopatra and Hercules with guns, knives, and various edged weapons, hideously mutilating them. Though Hercules is never seen again, the original ending of the film had the freaks castrating him - the audience sees him later singing in falsetto. The film concludes with a revelation of Cleopatra's fate: her tongue cut out, one eye gouged and legs hacked off, she has been reduced to performing in a sideshow as the imbecile squawking "human chicken".

When the movie first came out, audiences reacted so strongly that many scenes had to be cut and have never been found again. One woman sued the studio claiming that it caused her to have a miscarriage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite (or favorite) Movies   Favourite (or favorite) Movies - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite (or favorite) Movies
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next